Trouble getting sour dregs or ECY bugfarm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdp07d

Reaction score
I am currently living in Utah, which does not carry any (maybe some? But very few) sour beers in the liquor store (only place you can buy beer other than a brewery). I can't get beer shipped to me legally either since Utah does not allow alcohol to be shipped to it. Would anyone here be kind enough to ship sine bug country/bug farm or dregs from cantillon or something else to Utah?

I feel your pain brother...the sour beer selection in Utah sucks. If you're interested, I have a blend of Wyeast Lacto (5335) and Jolly Pumpkin La Roja dreggs that you can have. It's from a Berliner I made a few months back. FYI, The Bayou sometimes carries Cantillon, so you could always take a sanitized vial with you and harvest the dreggs.

Have you considered any of the bug blends from white labs or wyeast? I've had beers brewed with both Roselare and the Whitelabs Sour Blend that were outstanding.

Are the Yeast Bay items available more frequently than ECY products?

I think because they are being supplied by White Labs, they are more reliably in stock than ECY producrs. Anyway, every time I've checked, the strains I wanted were available, and I think that will be true of the new blends too.

Have you considered any of the bug blends from white labs or wyeast? I've had beers brewed with both Roselare and the Whitelabs Sour Blend that were outstanding.

I've used white labs and wyeast before and they do make good beer but they are limited in their complexity.

The Yeast Bay also have some interesting looking sour blends that are currently much easier to order than ECY products.

I hadn't seen any good looking ones from yeast bay yet, but some if these look promising. These are new on the scene and I don't know if they have been around long to have reviews?

I feel your pain brother...the sour beer selection in Utah sucks. If you're interested, I have a blend of Wyeast Lacto (5335) and Jolly Pumpkin La Roja dreggs that you can have. It's from a Berliner I made a few months back. FYI, The Bayou sometimes carries Cantillon, so you could always take a sanitized vial with you and harvest the dreggs.

Thank you for the insight about the bayou. I hadn't heard of it. Everyone I work with is Mormon and doesn't drink and I don't know many other people here yet. I would be very interested in some jolly pumpkin dregs (I'm ok with them mixed with other things). Is that a beer available at the bayou as well?

Thank you for the insight about the bayou. I hadn't heard of it. Everyone I work with is Mormon and doesn't drink and I don't know many other people here yet. I would be very interested in some jolly pumpkin dregs (I'm ok with them mixed with other things). Is that a beer available at the bayou as well?

I've never seen La Roja on the menu, but they might get it occasionally. I'm pretty sure they carry ES Bam from Jolly Pumpkin fairly regularly. Cantillon can be hit and miss; they seemed to have a bunch last year but I haven't been in for a couple months. Are you in the Salt Lake area? PM me if you're interested and we can figure out a place to meet up. I also have a blend of Wyeast lacto and White Labs American Farmhouse from the same Berliner (split batch).

P.S. Other good beer bars in the area besides The Bayou include Beerhive and Beer Bar. Those are probably the best places in the state for a variety of really good beers.

When it gets a little cooler out, I wouldn't mind shipping you some ECY--Gotta, figure out how to get it to you. I have a slurry from last years BugFarm (that is still impressing me) as well as a fresh vial of last year's BugCounty.

Also, Joe at Princeton Homebrew will ship ECY (except in the summer)--sign up for his googlegroup and be prepared to drop the hammer and buy them as soon as you get the list. Sometimes his ECY packs sell out in minutes.
Also, Love2Brew is another site that ships anytime--and they have updates on this forum when they receive ECY.

I personally don't find Roselare blend to be limited in complexity. The beers I've made with Roselare alone have been far better than the ones I've done with dregs. Even a mix of dregs (JP, Allagash, Boon Gueuze, Hansens)...

When it gets a little cooler out, I wouldn't mind shipping you some ECY--Gotta, figure out how to get it to you. I have a slurry from last years BugFarm (that is still impressing me) as well as a fresh vial of last year's BugCounty.

Also, Joe at Princeton Homebrew will ship ECY (except in the summer)--sign up for his googlegroup and be prepared to drop the hammer and buy them as soon as you get the list. Sometimes his ECY packs sell out in minutes.
Also, Love2Brew is another site that ships anytime--and they have updates on this forum when they receive ECY.

Thanks. I would love both of those. Ive looked at love2brew and with Princeton homebrew. I'm a member of the group but with how quickly it sells out, I doubt I'll get it. But I am trying through those channels.

Back