Trouble adjusting Brewfather to my equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

i've been using Brewfather for my last brewday and have a hard time tailoring the equipment profile to my needs. Im not sure if its even meant for equipment like mine since im not using a 1 Pot recirculating system like the Grainfather. Also my english sucks.

My problem is that my pre-boil volume is 2-3 Liters short, while my pre-boil gravity is almost my desired OG.

I'm mashing and lautering in the same 34 Liter pot with agitator and a "lautering spiral" at the bottom. The dead space up to the ball valve is 2 liters.
Is the problem, that i measured the mash tun dead space with water? Because in my case the deadspace will be occupied not only by liquid, but also by the spand grain.
Also, what does "recoverable mash tun deadspace" even mean? I don't plan on tilting my mash tun or anything like that.

It would be much appreciated if someone could point me to my mistake, or even walk me through the most important adjustment steps.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
If you increase you Mash-Tun Deadspace by the 3-4 Liters you're ending up short, that will increase your mash/strike water by 3-4 L, but it will not change your predicted OG/pre-boil SG. So by adding that water, you'll end up with your planned pre-boil volume, and those extra 3-4 L of water will end up coming out at a lower gravity and then hopefully get you closer to the predicted pre-boil gravity.

After making that volume adjustment in your mash tun profile, if you are still off in gravity, then adjust your mash efficiency.

Thats sound like a great way to deal with that. Thanks for the input! Im gonna have two brewdays next week where i can try both adjustments.

What exactly is the difference between "Mash-Tun Deadspace" and "Mash-Tun Loss"? Wich one should i adjust in my case?

I don't know the specific definitions. But you can play with them on a recipe and see the calculation results.

Changing dead space made the calculation spit out that you add more total water, but if I changed loss, it didn't add any water. Since you need more total water, you should add 3-4 L on top of whatever you already have in there for mash tun dead space.

Latest posts

Back