tried my first mead tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was out in the finger lakes of NY this summer, and tried the mead from Earle Estates Meadery. It was great. My favorite one was with cranberry. I think it was 30% cranberry, 70% honey. Its amazing how the tartness can cut through the sweetness and give such a good drink.
Have fun!

I also recently tried my first mead. It was a sparkling mead. I'm not sure exactly what the recipe was, but it was 3 years old and I never thought anything could taste that good!

John

david_42 said:
A little tartness, be it fruit or just lemon juice can really help a mead.

That's what I've been thinking. I don't think it would have been very impressive at all had it not had that tartness. I'm thinking of doing blueberry.

I just stuck a wine thief into my second batch of mead, which is my firat batch of cranberry mead. It is doing just fine!

8 pounds of desert flower honey, and 4 pounds of frozen cranberries, in 4 gallons total in the carboy

I'm going to enjoy this brew!

steve

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I'm thinking of doing blueberry.

That sounds good. I've been reading more on mead and thinking that its got to be something I try to make VERY soon.

david_42 A little tartness, be it fruit or just lemon juice can really help a mead.

That's really good to know. I have a feeling that if it came out too sweet, I'd be really turned off by it.

Ize

Back