Trial Extract brew with Target hops only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Today I made an experimental brew to check out Target hops. For a 6 gallon brew I boiled 7 lbs of amber malt extract in 3 gallons of 16 oz crystal malt, 8 oz amber malt, 2 oz chocolate malt "steeping liquor". I added irish moss for the last 20 minutes of the 60 minute boil, and after cooling, pitched safale 04 yeast. I added 10 gm of Target hops at the start of the boil, then 10 gm every 5 minutes throughout the boil. I made the length up to 6 gallons with ordinary tap water, so I guess I won't be "sucking on AJ's nipples". I will keep you posted on the fermentation and the taste of the finished beer.

I am in the UK and get them from the home brew shop, Farnborough, Hants, free delivery of orders over £65, I usually get £200 of materials per order.

There's a Target right by me. I wish they sold hops there.

I will keep you posted on the fermentation and the taste of the finished beer.

How did the all-target batch turn out (if you are still around)...

I just ordered some target pellets to do something similar. Want to brew some batches with just one hop and focus on learning flavors and aromasStarted with Kent Goldings. Target is next since it is supposed to be similar. It was hard to find but Hops Direct had a pound of pellets for $12. Another member on another thread pointed out that Target is a cross between Northern Brewer and Goldings, which explains some of the recommended substitutions. Guess NB should be next on my list.

Back