Tri-tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you folks prepare tri-tip to make it tender? I did one on the grill today.

I grilled using indirect heat at 225 degrees for an hour to bring IT to 115 or so, then cranked the burners to put a sear on and get IT up into the mid-130s before resting.

I thought the taste was good, and it was cooked properly wrt doneness, but it was on the tough side. And my wife has almost sworn off tri-tip due to toughness.

I know a 10-hour sous vide preparation will solve the problem, but I'd love to know if anyone has tips for conventional cooking methods?

It's hard because it is such and odd shaped piece of meat. By the time the thick part hits 130, the smaller parts are well done.

I don't mind because my family likes their meat done differently.

Try a citrus based marinade and be sure to slice thin across the grain.

Smokehouses probably cook it low and slow, but I never do. But then again, I don't expect it to be "melt in your mouth" tender.

Yeah, I think a marinade might help...

I'm probably just going to sous vide the next one, though. Especially with the uneven shape, it's probably the best way to get the whole thing properly cooked and tender.

I friend of mine recently turned me on to a method of cooking tri-tip much like brisket..

Cook it at 245-250, preferably in a smoker, until IT reaches 160. Then wrap in foil and add some good BBQ sauce, or whatever you like (the key is getting some moisture in there with it) and continue cooking until IT reaches 190. Pull it off the smoker and allow t rest for at least one hour. It may also be a good idea to inject with beef broth or marinade the night before.

I have not tried this yet, mainly because try-tip is hard to find around here and terribly expensive, but my friend swears by this method as the best tri-tip he's ever eaten.

:mug:

i cook my tri-tip hot and fast. really hot and fast. i also cook this quite frequently.

usually run the bge up to 750-800 and cook it for about 25 minutes (until it hits 120* internal).

Then i let it rest and rise to 130. thin slice across the grain. tender and juicy as can be. it gets a nice crust this way that tastes delicious as it mixes with all the juices/drippings.

IMO, taking tri-tip past 125º IT is just wrong. I do mine on a hot grill and watch the IT carefully. This one was pulled at 130º. A little too done for me but was delicious.

TriTip6.jpg

TriTip8.jpg

hory chit - PRIME!? .. i rarely buy it, but when i have; i have never regretted it :)

I usually just get select or choice from local fred n meyer or even winco. I've never had trouble finding a decent one.

I am with Jammin on this one....hot and fast....

Tri Tip is 3 things....1 part how you season, 1 part how you cook it, and 1 part how you cut it...People outside of the of California are usually oblivious...and by that...I mean...I usually get looks like "a Tri-what?" But its catching on....

Salt, Pepper, Garlic are pretty much all you need....you can go with a little ground red pepper (Numex or california), cumin, parsley to add a dimension....it turns out nicely that way

I usually do it hot over direct heat....fat side up, then down, then indirect for a little bit with fat up again to finish....

Best tri tips I have done are almost medium rare/medium.....let stand for 15 minutes before cutting against the grain

Looking at Nivek's pic, I agree, its a little too done, but I sure as hell wouldn't turn it down =)....made one a few weeks ago when I was out in Arizona that was the best ever on a gas grill--pulled medium rare, and it continued to cook to medium....there is usually something for everyone....medium well/done at the ends and medium in the center....a tri-tip done perfectly is an amazing experience...

Tri tip for dinner and tri tip sandwiches for lunch the next day....its a west coast thing =)

We use tri-tip all the time in my house because I grew up in cali. I think the trick to a good tri-tip isn't so much how you cook it but how you buy it. I look for those with excessive marbling and very little fat on the outside. Then we use it like any other fatty meat. My personal favorite is chili or beef and broccoli. But it works equally well as a pot roast and is great for french dips. I have very rarely had tough tri-tip when I buy it but when others shop I notice it comes out like shoe leather.

Latest posts

Back