Travelling, when to pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
I am going to brew Jamil's Irish Red Ale this weekend at my parents, which is 5 hours away in Wisconsin. I think I will brew on Saturday or Sunday, and drive 5 hours home to Indiana on Monday afternoon. Should I pitch as normal after brewing, or should I wait until I get home Monday evening to pitch the yeast?

I have done this before, and waited 18 hours to pitch the yeast, but this will be more like 48 hours if I brew on Saturday (tomorrow).

I wouldn't even risk it.

If it's an absolute must, I would do everything possible to brew Sunday afternoon and pitch when you get home.

What are the potential consequences of me brewing on Saturday, pitching at that time, letting it ferment for 48 hours, and then driving 5 hours with it still fermenting on Monday afternoon?

As long as your still fermenting strongly on Monday, you'll probably be fine. You will probably slush up the fermenter pretty good on your way home, but an active fermentation will scrub up any added O2. As long as you secure your fermenter well, you should be fine. I've done this a couple times with no notable difference in my brews.

I say go for it... Pitch after brewing... Secure the carboy and let 'er rip...

My only hesitation would be the liquid in the air lock. Id be willing to bet that it falls back into the carboy. Often. Keep checking it on your drive and refill as necessary. You'll be fine...

Latest posts

Back