Transferring Liquid - Air in my lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReuFroman

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday and had a problem with air in my lines causing the pumps to not work. In my setup I have false bottoms with dip tubes running to a couple of chugger pumps then up to a cam fitting that either goes into my mash tun sparg arm or brew kettle whirlpool arm. It has been an issue since day 1 of the pumps but it is starting to piss me off.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to get the air out and just turn the pump on and kick back with a tasty brew?

The way I do it is I open the valve on the source (the bottom port on the kettle, MLT, or HLT) to let liquid start flowing down into the pump (which is located lower than the source, always). I open the valve on the output side of my pump (which is located so as to be higher than the pump input). Finally I wait until I can see that liquid is flowing through the pump before I turn it on (on my setup I also have a valve on the whirlpool port, so I have to open that also if I am using the whirlpool).

Air is going to try its best to make it up and out of the pump and lines. So make it easy by ensuring that the last stage of your setup is not blocked off or located lower than the pump source.

I have found that pinches in the lines can also create this problem.

Another thing you may want to check is that there are no leaks in any of the lines/fittings. A small hole will let air into the lines, and that might create the problem you have depending on where it is and how much air gets in. I usually just plug up one side of the fitting/tube and then blow air through it from the other end to see if there is resistance.

Like Mo said, make sure the line is open all the way through to where you're pumping to. Sometimes I start the pump first THEN open the outlet. By that time the pump is already screaming. Usually if I open everything up and let the water flow down to the pump and halfway back up again, it's all set to go. I recently put a Tee in on the outlet of the pump and if I can't get it to prime, I can bleed off air right at the pump outlet until it starts shooting out water. 60% of the time, it works every time (Anchorman).

Also, seems to generally work better with the pump outlet pointing up. More details about your setup would help diagnose.

Back