Transferring from primary to secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi81

Reaction score
Yesterday I transferred my first homebrew from my plastic primary to a secodary glass carboy. When using my auto siphon I realized there was a lot of chances for oxygen potentially contaminate my beer. Is this something to worry about? And are there any suggestions on the best way to transfer your beer from the primary to secondary?

A long hose so the beer doesn't splash. Not sure if you're worried about oxygenation or infection, I wouldn't worry about infection if everything was sanitized correctly.

I sanitized everything and used a hose with the siphon. Just wasn't sure if it was ok to let the beer be exposed to oxygen for a short while it was still fermenting.

Yesterday I transferred my first homebrew from my plastic primary to a secodary glass carboy. When using my auto siphon I realized there was a lot of chances for oxygen potentially contaminate my beer. Is this something to worry about? And are there any suggestions on the best way to transfer your beer from the primary to secondary?

Yeah, it kinda is. That's why lots of folks ditch the secondary unless they're doing something like racking on fruit, ect.

I see no reason to do it for most beers. YMMV. :)

Rick

+1 to no splashing. It took me a few tries to get the hang of the auto siphon. Just use small pumps to get it flowing then sit back and relax. If you extend the racking cane too far you will push a lot of air bubbles through.

Yeah, it kinda is. That's why lots of folks ditch the secondary unless they're doing something like racking on fruit, ect.

I see no reason to do it for most beers. YMMV. :)

Rick

Hmmmmm, it is true that most typical low gravity brews do not need a secondary, the main reason I don't use a secondary on these beers is NOT the very slight possibility of oxygenation or infection. Secondary is simply not needed for the "typical" brew to clear AND the beer is typically better sitting on the yeast for an extended period so the yeast can clean up any off flavors. All this being said with no idea what beer we are talking about. :tank: There are numerous reasons to use secondaries for other high gravity, or complicated beers but when it comes down to the end it's a personal preference or fermentor logistics, etc.

Hmmmmm, it is true that most typical low gravity brews do not need a secondary, the main reason I don't use a secondary on these beers is NOT the very slight possibility of oxygenation or infection. Secondary is simply not needed for the "typical" brew to clear AND the beer is typically better sitting on the yeast for an extended period so the yeast can clean up any off flavors. All this being said with no idea what beer we are talking about. :tank: There are numerous reasons to use secondaries for other high gravity, or complicated beers but when it comes down to the end it's a personal preference or fermentor logistics, etc.

Well, fine, but how complicated do you think this guys first beer was?

9 times out of 10 there's no real reason to use a secondary.

Are some in the habit of doing so? Yes. But that doesn't mean it's necessary.

Rick

Well, fine, but how complicated do you think this guys first beer was?

9 times out of 10 there's no real reason to use a secondary.

Are some in the habit of doing so? Yes. But that doesn't mean it's necessary.

Rick

You are correct sir.;)

Edit: I do not know the OP so I can form no opinion on how complicated his first beer may or may not be.

Back