Transferring CO2 one tank to another

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janx

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Let's just skip the why's and cut to the chase. I have a new empty CO2 tank and an old one with some gas in it. I have two regs. Can I hook them one to the other, turn the reg on the full one up and on the empty one down and transfer gas from one to the other until they reach equilibrium? It seems like I should be able to save half the gas this way. Am I missing something?

I've never done this sort of thing, I'm not a physicist, and I haven't played one on TV in years. Can anyone point out the holes in this plan? Gracias! :D

It won't work, the tanks are at much higher pressures than the regulators will pass. Also, most regulators have backflow prevention valves. Don't try to bypass the regulators unless you have access to hose that can handle 2000 psi.

Check your local welding supply store for the gizmo.

Or- Unscrew the inlets from both regs, screw them together with a coupleing, attache to both tanks, open both tanks just a liitttle bit. Do it ouside, wear appropriate safety gear. Don't call me later, I'm not an eye surgeon...

I wouldn't even attempt this!!

All you going to do is create a missle propelled by CO2 instead of rocket fuel.

Did everybody foroget there WHMIS course!!!!!!!

It won't work with both tanks side by side. The CO2 is stored in its liquid form. You have to put the full tank upside down and above the empty tank in order to transfer liquid. Otherwise, you will only equilibrate the gaz pressure without transfering liquid.

CO2 vapor pressure is around 700 PSI at room temp. As David_42 mentionned, make sure your setup can handle that pressure !

I still think this is a bad idea and I would recommend that you NOT attempted it.

If you want the CO2 that bad take it to a shop that can do it, but I wouldn't do it at home. CO2 is not that expesive!

IMO you're just asking for trouble if you try this yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm definitely not attempting this. It was as much a theoretical discussion as anything. Hopefully no one else will attempt it in the future. Maybe I should delete the thread to protect the children? ;)

Back