Transferring Actively Fermenting Beer to Sealed Keg to Carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgardener

Reaction score
I believe the technique is called Krausening (which I'm aware has multiple meanings throughout the beer world), but also hear it referred to as simply "capping" a fermenter.

I would like to try this with my next German style beer, (probably a Maibock or Maerzen) taking the actively fermenting wort, moving it into the sealed keg to ferment out and carbonate at the same time, I will then probably jump the carbonated beer into a new keg to lager it for a few months.

My question is, at which stage of primary fermentation does the beer need to get sealed off? Say, I'm working with a beer of an OG of 1.060 with an anticipated FG of 1.014, would I keg it once it reaches the 1.025 neighborhood? 1.035?

Anyone with any experience with this, please share your knowledge!

You could always make yourself a spunding valve. That way whatever gravity you transfer it at, you can know exactly what PSI is on the beer at the temp for the beer. It's basically the same as force carbonating in a sense when using a spunding valve. You'd just need an adjustable valve and a gauge attached to a threaded gas fitting.

I believe the technique is called Krausening (which I'm aware has multiple meanings throughout the beer world), but also hear it referred to as simply "capping" a fermenter.

I would like to try this with my next German style beer, (probably a Maibock or Maerzen) taking the actively fermenting wort, moving it into the sealed keg to ferment out and carbonate at the same time, I will then probably jump the carbonated beer into a new keg to lager it for a few months.

My question is, at which stage of primary fermentation does the beer need to get sealed off? Say, I'm working with a beer of an OG of 1.060 with an anticipated FG of 1.014, would I keg it once it reaches the 1.025 neighborhood? 1.035?

Anyone with any experience with this, please share your knowledge!

Spunding is what you are referring to, not krausening. You should start spunding around 75-80% attenuation IIRC.

Back