Transfer from Sankey to Corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
Im running low on home brew - am going to buy a commercial keg for one of my taps, but I want to use a corny keg. If I buy a sankey keg, how can it be transferred to the corny?

Well. Do you have a sankey coupler? If so, why not hook that to the tap? Assuming that is a dumb question, you could connect the output of the sankey to the output of the corney keg and slowly fill it.

1. Purge the corney with CO2.
1.5 If you can, release the pressure on the sankey.
2. Connect the sankey output to the corney output. This will push the beer in through the diptube and fill from the bottom rather than spraying from the top through the corney input.
3. Dial the CO2 down very low and add gas to the sankey. You don't really want to fill too fast. You are going to need a way to monitor the level in the corney keg. Condensation works, sort of. I'd just leave the lid of the corney and keep an eye on it. As long as the keg has been primed well with CO2, you won't have too much risk of oxygenation.
4. When the corney is full, cut the pressure to the sankey and disconnect.
5. Put the lid on the corney.
6. Add the gas to the corney. Still low pressure. Release the pressure valve and run the gas for 10-20 seconds just to make sure.
7. Close pressure valve and pressurize the corney.
8. Connect to the tap and claim it as your own?

Good luck.

I'd leave the lid on the corny personally, but commercial beer should be ok with the limited exposure.

I've seen people do this due fridge constraints, or split a keg between buddies; I imagine this is the OP's reasoning (otherwise just tap and enjoy).

If space is the problem....why not just get a quarter keg instead. When I buy commercial I always get those.....15 gallons is a hell of a commitment and it'll leave room for bottles too...

Well. Do you have a sankey coupler? If so, why not hook that to the tap? Assuming that is a dumb question, you could connect the output of the sankey to the output of the corney keg and slowly fill it.

1. Purge the corney with CO2.
1.5 If you can, release the pressure on the sankey.
2. Connect the sankey output to the corney output. This will push the beer in through the diptube and fill from the bottom rather than spraying from the top through the corney input.
3. Dial the CO2 down very low and add gas to the sankey. You don't really want to fill too fast. You are going to need a way to monitor the level in the corney keg. Condensation works, sort of. I'd just leave the lid of the corney and keep an eye on it. As long as the keg has been primed well with CO2, you won't have too much risk of oxygenation.
4. When the corney is full, cut the pressure to the sankey and disconnect.
5. Put the lid on the corney.
6. Add the gas to the corney. Still low pressure. Release the pressure valve and run the gas for 10-20 seconds just to make sure.
7. Close pressure valve and pressurize the corney.
8. Connect to the tap and claim it as your own?

Good luck.

This is exactly what I do when I get kegs from a local brewpub. The only difference is that I pressurize the target keg and leave the lid on, and use a pressure release valve with a gauge on the co2 post of the corny. By setting that valve to 5 psi (or whatever) it controls the flow of beer from keg to keg. The beer is never exposed to any outside air at all.

As to why someone would want to do this, well most kegs (even pony kegs) are much fatter than a corny. The kegs from my local brewpub would have the footprint of FOUR cornies. Transferring it to a corny leaves a lot more space for homebrew. ;)

How can you tell when the corney keg is full? Do you wait for beer to come out the gas side? That seems a little over-full to me.

I sure wouldn't wait for it to shoost out the gas side. Seems to me that would mean the gas dip tube would be submerged in the beer. Not ideal.

You can feel the side, watch the condensation, judge by weight...a lot depends on how much you need to get into the keg. I get 7.75 gallon kegs and split between two cornies, so I don't really need to fill either to the top. So long as one is more than 2/3 full, there's no danger of overfilling.

Now if you're trying to transfer a 15 gallon keg between 3 cornies, then you've got to get them all the way full with no room for error. I'd suggest doing it by weight. Weigh a full corny to get a maxumum weight, then when you're filling a new one leave it on a scale and use the weight to judge when it's full.

Condensation is what I do- If you have a bathroom scale, set your commercial keg on it, based on it's volume divide weight by how many kegs it will fill. As you fill then, the weight of the commercial keg will give you a good approximate of how full your corny is.

I just set the corny keg on the bathroom scales and add 38lbs of beer (4.75 gallons), I didn't tell the guy in the liquor store how I emptied a 1/6 keg in two, but he call me SIR.:)

I just did this last night and it worked great. Took about 20min. As soon as I started getting foam from the pressure relief valve, I caught the foam with a pitcher and let it keep filling until the corny weighed about 48 lbs which should be 40lbs of beer and 8lbs for an empty corny. Drank the blue moon all night and it was perfect. Tonight, its got no head at all. No pressure has dropped. Not sure what happened. The beer did get up to about 50deg before I got it back into the fridge. I just bled the pressure and then took the CO2 ball lock and hooked it to the "beer out" side and pressurized it from the bottom of the tank in an attempt to force carb it. Seems to have worked though Im not sure it will last. Anyone have any ideas here?
Thanks
Adam

Back