transfer from fermenter to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreptile

Reaction score
I am new to this so please bear with me.
If you aren't supposed to expose the beer to the air before bottling then how are you supposed to get your sample and start the transfer the hole in the lid is not big enough for the syphon

There is a blanket of CO2 that forms over the beer when it ferments. After fermentation, the beer is much less susceptible to infections because the alcohol makes a much less habitable environment. The bigger concern is oxygenation. This typically occurs if the beer is aerated in any fashion. So when you transfer, have the flow be as gentle as possible. At this stage, it will be hard to screw it up, but you just have to be careful. It is perfectly fine to remove the lid to do the transfer. You'll also need to remove the lid to take a gravity reading. Before you transfer, make sure you take at least two gravity readings a couple days apart to ensure the fermentation is finished.

You will need to remove the lid, but the short term exposure to the air won't create an issue for you. The real key in the transfer is to reduce the introduction of air through splashing/agitation of the beer. So open the lid to take your sample and to use your racking or siphon to transfer - but don't pour out of the busket. Also insure that the tubing from your racking cane or siphon reaches all the way to the bottom of your bottling bucket so that the beer doesn't splash into the bucket.

Wreptile said:
I am new to this so please bear with me.
If you aren't supposed to expose the beer to the air before bottling then how are you supposed to get your sample and start the transfer the hole in the lid is not big enough for the syphon

The idea as I understand it is to minimize aeration ie reduce it not eliminate it (which can also be done if so desired by pushing the beer with co2)

Keep the siphon output hose in the bottom of the bottling bucket , keep the Siphon end under the beer level so it does not suck in air and have all your bottling supply's ready to go as soon as you transfer.

Meaning the priming sugar is done, cooled and in the bottling bucket.
Bottles all washed, sanitized and ready to fill.
Caps sanitized
Capper ready.
Ect ect.

Rack to the bottling bucket, and fill your bottles, cap and store for conditioning.

That small amount of exposure to air is deemed acceptable

Well my first batch was a red ale and it tastes like Killians Irish Red mmmm What should I try for my second batch? I was thinking hefe weisen

I was just hearing somewhere (don't know, I follow so many brewing sources) that an award winning brewer went right from primary, with the CO2 blanket, into a CO2 filled keg, to avoid any oxidation, and with this technique often scored in the 40s.

I have been wondering about this very topic, I don't keg, so I don't have CO2.

Back