Tower vs. Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poto101

Reaction score
So I just purchased a kegging system from kegconnection.com. in time, i plan on converting a countertop high fridge into a keggerator and was wondering, is there any advantage to having a tower vs. a regular faucet on the side of the refrigerator? besides looks..

A tower can be built into a bar top. A shank through a fridge door limits what you can do as far as positioning options.

And towers just look cool.... ;)

2692381919_0da0ec2baa_b.jpg

haha good thing I don't have any kids or cats.

I completely agree that the tower looks much nicer. Faucets just seem much cheaper and i was wondering if there was any functional difference.

haha good thing I don't have any kids or cats.

I completely agree that the tower looks much nicer. Faucets just seem much cheaper and i was wondering if there was any functional difference.

I think I have about $8 tied up in my PVC tower, not counting faucets and shanks.

I've never had problems with the beer in my tower getting warm but I have heard of some people having to rig fans up in there kegerator to blow cool air into their towers. I suppose having a faucet would guarantee you not having to deal with that. But like I said I've never had that problem with my tower so I don't know how common that is. It is nice not having to bend over to pour yourself a beer though.

With a tower, the faucets and shanks are usually included. The first thing you will want to do (ok, second after pouring yourself a beer) is replace the cheap faucets with something better. If you go shanks, you can buy good faucets the first time.

It's really a question of how high you want the taps. Do you want them as high as the fridge/freezer (thru-wall shanks) or higher (tower).

Back