Total lunar eclipse tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
clicky: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/13feb_lunareclipse.htm?list969528

I don't recall seeing this posted elsewhere on the board. My apologies if this is a repost.

Total lunar eclipse will begin at 10:01 EST tonight and end at 10:51. Maximum eclipse occurs at 10:26 pm EST. The next total lunar eclipse will be in December of 2010.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A lunar eclipse happens when the Moon passes through the shadow of Earth. You might expect the Moon to grow even more ashen than usual, but in fact it transforms into an orb of vivid red.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why red? That is the color of Earth's shadow.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Consider the following: Most shadows we're familiar with are black or gray; step outside on a sunny day and look at your own. Earth's shadow is different because, unlike you, Earth has an atmosphere. The delicate layer of dusty air surrounding our planet reddens and redirects the light of the sun, filling the dark behind Earth with a sunset-red glow. The exact tint--anything from bright orange to blood red is possible--depends on the unpredictable state of the atmosphere at the time of the eclipse. "Only the shadow knows," says astronomer Jack Horkheimer of the Miami Space Transit Planetarium.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Transiting the shadow's core takes about an hour. The first hints of red appear around 10 pm EST (7 pm PST), heralding a profusion of coppery hues that roll across the Moon's surface enveloping every crater, mountain and moon rock, only to fade away again after 11 pm EST (8 pm PST). No special filter or telescope is required to see this spectacular event. It is a bright and leisurely display visible from cities and countryside alike.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]While you're watching, be alert for another color: turquoise. Observers of several recent lunar eclipses have reported a flash of turquoise bracketing the red of totality. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The blue and turquoise shades at the edge of Earth's shadow were incredible," recalls amateur astronomer Eva Seidenfaden of Trier, Germany, who took the picture at right during the European lunar eclipse of March 3-4, 2007. Dozens of other photographers have documented the same phenomenon. [/FONT]

It's going to be bleeding cold in Michigan tonight...My pseudoswmbo is all excited about it....I'm hoping, but doubtful that it will be visible from one of the windows in my building...

It's too bad it's not happening when it's warmer...I'd love to climb up on the roft of my loft to see it.

Ironically, after a week of clear weather, it should be socked in and raining steadily by then. It's the Heart of the Valley's monthly meeting tonight, so even if I miss this one, I can raise a glass for Luna.

Soulive said:
I don't think our area will be able to see it. We're supposed to be getting light snow in a few hours...

Yeah same here, I think. Hmm Lunar Eclipse. Does that mean I won't turn into a Werewolf as usual? :D

For Chicagoland enthusiasts:

Feb. 20, 2008

Start of Eclipse 7:43 p.m. CST
Start of Totality 9:01 p.m. CST
Eclipse Maximum 9:26 p.m. CST
End of Totality 9:51 p.m. CST
End of Eclipse 11:09 p.m. CST

You can use this page to verify and also see other sky phenomena calculations
into the future as well for our area:

http://77illinois.homestead.com/files/astro/skypage.html

hmmmmm....I'm brewing an Amber Ale tonight.....I'll have to work that into the name of the beer.....

If you're in an area that's not covered by clouds, get outside and check this out. It's starting to happen.

Very cool stuff.

I got my cheapo telescope out. Beautiful. One of those things, just seems unreal. Reminds me of a quote by Jack Handy, "Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk."

Eb

skinfiddler said:
Very clear night in Columbus, OH. The best one I've seen.

Yup. I'm about 40 miles north of Columbus and it's very clear here as well. I just came back in from watching it. It's really quite amazing.

My eldest boy and I have always enjoyed the amateur science stuff. He has his first crush and he's been talking to her for several hours each night on the phone. Tonight I see my phone cord snaking from my bar across the dining room, through his bedroom and out the back door. I investigate and he's standing outside (it's -32.8º F out) talking to her. Now I've been pretty tolerant to this point with the three hour phone calls and all, but this is too much. I freak. Exert my authority in a loud and forceful tone. No negotiations are possible. I have spoken and laid down the law.

A few moments later I realize that the peak has arrived and call the boy to further discuss the science behind it. (You can see this coming....)

Turns out he was standing outside watching the eclipse and explaining the science to HER. Aren't I the big shi!t. So I had to apologize and to make matters worse, the reason I'd called him over was to tell him that he was right and I was wrong about the timing of the event. Talk about feeling like a big jerk!

Fingers said:
My eldest boy and I have always enjoyed the amateur science stuff. He has his first crush and he's been talking to her for several hours each night on the phone. Tonight I see my phone cord snaking from my bar across the dining room, through his bedroom and out the back door. I investigate and he's standing outside (it's -32.8º F out) talking to her. Now I've been pretty tolerant to this point with the three hour phone calls and all, but this is too much. I freak. Exert my authority in a loud and forceful tone. No negotiations are possible. I have spoken and laid down the law.

A few moments later I realize that the peak has arrived and call the boy to further discuss the science behind it. (You can see this coming....)

Turns out he was standing outside watching the eclipse and explaining the science to HER. Aren't I the big shi!t. So I had to apologize and to make matters worse, the reason I'd called him over was to tell him that he was right and I was wrong about the timing of the event. Talk about feeling like a big jerk!

Yikes! Open mouth... insert foot. At least he has an interest in the eclipse tonight, that's cool! I told my wife and girls about it and I got nothing. They were all asleep by 9. My oldest is only 8, but she normally likes to learn science from me so I told her she could stay up past bedtime to see it. Needless to say that didn't happen.

Fingers said:

Imho, being man enough to admit you were wrong and apologize was the best lesson you could give in that situation.

In other news, it was 65, clear skies to watch the eclipse.. was pretty darn cool

My camera sucked, but I saw some great images through my binoculars.

I don't use this word often, but I have to say the view was "awesome". It had me wishing I was 18 and invincible (again)...to only travel to such places is just a dream beyond imagination...I viewed the other glowing objects that were (relatively) close to the moon knowing one of them was (is) Saturn...makes an explorer to want to live forever...:rockin:

MoonEclipse.jpg

Really lucked out. The clouds started dissipating right around sunset and by totality the sky was crystal clear. It was fun driving to the meeting, because every time I turned East, the shadow was further along. Finally had to stop to watch it.

It was clear up in Port Huron lastnight. And we lucked out and could watch it from a window in the main hallway of my loft building, as it moved along the St Clair river, with Sarnia, Ontario below it. Only drawback was that I couldn't get any pictures because all the ambient light in the corridor reflected on the window...

Not a cloud in the sky last night. Hands down the best eclipse I have ever seen. I grabbed myself a warm coat and a goblet of Dubble and enjoyed it for quite a while. It was cold though. My beer got colder as I drank it.

Back