top cropping apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baumgartner

Reaction score
Today i prepared 1 gallon of Joes quick grape mead because i had some extra honey i wanted to use. Then it dawned on me that i was completely out of wine yeast, just used last montrachet for some apfelwein :) (thanks ed).
Then it dawned on me that i filled my apfelwein carboy a little to full again!!
So i emptied the airlock that was now full of star-san, apfelwein, yeasties.
I slightly under filled the airlock with only water and replaced it on the now vigorous apfelwein. I came back an hour later to find that it is now once again almost filled but this time only with apelwein,yeast, and alittle water. I pitched it immediatly in to my mead. I know it was an under pitch, however after only 6 hours at work it appears to have started fermenting.

In my book i would call that top cropping of apfelwein. I was quite proud of my results, being fairly new at homebrewing, and i just wanted to share my idea.

MAN I LOVE APFELWEIN!!!

i wonder if I could make a wheat beer, and have it blow off into another wheat beer to get two beers off of one pitch. hmmmmmmmmmmmm

i wonder if I could make a wheat beer, and have it blow off into another wheat beer to get two beers off of one pitch. hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oddly enough, I had a really violent blow off last weekend with wheat beer and I was wondering the same thing. I know it's not the most efficient thing in the world, but I'd like to try it just to say I did it...lol.

I'm starting to think that it may be just as efficent as a starter, however way cooler. imagine like 10 carboys hooked up so the blow off in order from one to another like dominos, only with 24-48 before the next one goes off. that would be awesome. Like a rune goldberg machine with little yeasties as a mechanism.

I'm starting to think that it may be just as efficent as a starter, however way cooler. imagine like 10 carboys hooked up so the blow off in order from one to another like dominos, only with 24-48 before the next one goes off. that would be awesome. Like a rune goldberg machine with little yeasties as a mechanism.

Hook up 15-20 in a row...by the time the last one pops you can go to the 1st one and "taste the future"

Also, some time lapse photography, albeit being an expensive and timely endeavor, would pay off with a video that nobody in their right mind would reattempt. :rockin:

Back