Top 9 or so grains..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer2d2

Reaction score
What top 10 grain ingredients are the staples to make 80% of the recipes? here's my list..

1. 2 row American
  2. Rahr White Wheat
  3. Vienna Malt
  4. Victory malt
  5. Crystal (20, 60, 120, etc.)
  6. Roasted Barley
  7. Chocolate malt
  8. Midnight wheat
  9. Flaked barley
  10. Flaked rye

Edit: Added flaked rye instead of flaked oats as you get the mouth feel from flaked oats, but in higher quantities you get the spicey notes of the rye for rye beers. Swapped out black carafa for midnight wheat as i used to use black carafa more, but recently have been using more midnight wheat, it tends to impart a smoother taste with less bitterness. After consideration I swapped out carapils for flaked barley. There is proof that the flaked barley works better than carapils and is cheaper.

Last edited:
Kind of depends on what you like to brew.
For my brewing, I'd take your list, subtract the carapils, then add Munich. I might substitute Midnight wheat for the black carafa. For the crystals, I'd substitute Carared for the C20, Caramunich2 for C40 and Caramunich3 for C60. I'd keep the C120 though. I do like Tom Foolery's idea of adding Flaked oats. If I did more English-types, I would substitute Maris Otter for the malted wheat. Will be interesting to see other's ideas.

I’m becoming increasingly fond of Viking Extra Pale 2 row, and Malted Oats. I also now use way more Midnight Wheat than Roasted Barley.

Viking Extra Pale
Pale 2 Row
Marris Otter
Malted Oats
White Wheat
Victory
Crystal 60
Midnight Wheat
Chocolate
Acidulated

Last edited:
Ditch the Carapils and oats, neither one of them does what you think it does. As a replacement, use either flaked rye or malted rye, doesn't matter which. They'll enhance body and head retention in any beer like you wouldn't believe.

Other than rye:

Maris Otter
German Pilsner
German Vienna
German Munich
Wheat malt
Crystal 40
Carafa III
Roasted Barley
Black Patent

Oh crap that's more than 9 if you include rye. Oh well. Can't live without any of these. I already chopped American pale malt which is difficult enough. Meh...... maybe I should chop Carafa III instead and keep American pale. Yeah I'd do that. Fix my list yourself.

😁

To make 80% of my recipes:

1. Barke Pilsner
2. Barke Vienna
3. Barke Munich
4. Rahr 2-Row
5. Weyermann Pale Wheat/Rahr White Wheat
6. Weyermann Carahell
7. Flaked Corn
8. Weyermann Caramunich II
9. Simpsons Golden Promise

Other notable mentions: Simpsons Chocolate/Black Malt, Carafa II Special, Fawcett Malted Oats, Briess C60, Flaked Oats, CaraAroma/C120.

I’ll use either wheat malt pretty much interchangeably, with the exception of my hefeweizen which needs the Weyermann.

Of course, having on hand is not the same as having enough. 2-row in 50 lb bags.. a couple of crystals, white wheat and cara blonde and munich in10 or 20 lb bags. Everything else in 1 - 5 lb bags.

Back