too much head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg2536

Reaction score
OK, this may sound like an odd problem but I have brewed 3 Big River Brown Ales from MW and have enjoyed them and yet after following the recipe I get a very large head in the glass. It does not matter whether the glass is cold or not the head is the same. I have varied the amount of priming sugar between 5 and 4 oz without any difference. any ideas?

Mod Edit: Moved to the correct forum

DSC02070.jpg

are you chilling the beer before serving? What is your process? are you going from a secondary into a bottling bucket or from the primary? maybe you are not letting your beers finish and have to many yeasties still floating around eager to much up any sugars they can find. We need some more details.

I leave the brew in primary for at least 3 weeks and move to secondary for at least 2 and then add priming sugar to bottling bucket and leave for min of 3 weeks prior to chilling and serving. This one was bottled a month ago before chilling .

Wash your beer glasses in the dishwasher, that should get rid of the head (tic). Just thought I'd give the opposite advice that is given to the people that need more head.

Sounds like your beer is being aged fine. When you are carbonating the bottles all that Co2 that is being produced goes into the neck of the bottle and just sits there, when you chill the beer off the carbonation will be able to overcome the resistance that it would of previously had diffusing into the beer. If you let the beer chill in a fridge for 2 days or so I would bet that this problem will go away. And wash your glass before you pour into it.

Edit: There is no such thing as too much head. I am revoking your man card!!

must not be married.....................

Also is that pint glass frozen? I tend to just rinse the glass in cold water and just serve without wiping the glass out. How are you pouring ?

Yes Boo to the frozen glass. Just a freshly rinsed wet glass is all you need. You're not pouring BMC there! The idea is to NOT shock your taste buds into hibernation anymore since moving away from BMC.

How high do you fill the bottles? All the way to the top, to the neck, or in between?

Arneba28, I usually leave several bottles in the fridge days on end but the glass is put in the freezer, I have poured into a warm glass with the same results. I'll try a freshly washed one and see if it is different.

Yes Boo to the frozen glass. Just a freshly rinsed wet glass is all you need. You're not pouring BMC there! The idea is to NOT shock your taste buds into hibernation anymore since moving away from BMC.

I guess I was following the example from resterants with the frosted glasses. What is BMC?

what affect does the amount of priming sugar have on the beer?

what affect does the amount of priming sugar have on the beer?

quite a bit. If you don't let your beers finish fermenting (which is why I asked what the final gravity was) you can end up with over carbed beers since there are a lot of fermentable sugars left in the wort then you add priming sugar on top of that, you can end up with over carbed/bottle bombs. I am not saying that is what happened but it could be one explanation.

Try this calc and see how much it corn sugar it recommends.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

You will find that good beer actually tastes a lot better slightly warmer than you are used to.

It only takes a little getting used to, but "ice cold" is a gimmick that actually numbs your taste buds. It doesn't make beer taste better, it just makes bad beer taste less bad. The goal of BMC.

The pour could be the problem too. If you just dump beer in like it was Kool-aid, it will froth like hell.

I tried the room temp glass freshly rinsed and slow pour but the same head. It tastes great just takes a while to get it in the glass. I did not record the gravity of the brew sorry.

I believe it was in the primary for 3 weeks and secondary for about 2

I was talking to my son tonight about this problem and he reminded me that the first batch I used Munton's 6 gm dry yeast and the last two I used White Labs British Ale 005 pichable tube. Think that might be it?

I was talking to my son tonight about this problem and he reminded me that the first batch I used Munton's 6 gm dry yeast and the last two I used White Labs British Ale 005 pichable tube. Think that might be it?

For the muntons? YES!! that **** is the worst and hardly ever gets below 1.020 which leaves way too many fermentables. Did you create a starter for the Wyeast? if not that could be the problem too. A regular packet of the wyeast pitchable yeast does not have enough cells to really do the job and could result in the same result as the muntons dry yeast.

I needed to clarify that the first batch with the dry yeast did not over foam but the last two with the White labs did. So could that be the problem?

I don't know why kits tell you to use 5 oz of priming sugar. That's pretty much the most I'd ever use in a beer. I've used 5.5 for a tripel, but even for a beer bottled on the warm side, 5 oz is too many volumes IMO.

I don't know why kits tell you to use 5 oz of priming sugar. That's pretty much the most I'd ever use in a beer. I've used 5.5 for a tripel, but even for a beer bottled on the warm side, 5 oz is too many volumes IMO.

Good thought. ProMash shows 4.39 oz priming sugar to get to 2.50. 5.50 will get you close to 3.00.

My brother in law got a "mr beer" kit, and blew up all of his bottles following their instructions. I guess mr. beer has an interest in the bottle market.

Back