too much foam commercial keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlover69

Reaction score
I just tapped a half barrel of sam adams boston lager and I am getting about 1 inch of beer with foam to the top of glass. I am using a picnic tap with about 5' of beer line all kept in the fridge at about 35 deg. Do I need longer beer line? I have set the c02 at 5 psi and also at 10 psi and now at 12 and nothing makes a diff.

Be patient. Most commercial beers are highly carbed and need at least a day to settle, after transport and hookup. If your setup normally pours ok, you'll be fine.

this is the second keg i tapped. the first one was michelobe amber bock and it was the same way. I got this keg thursday nite and been sitting comfortably in the fridge.

Its sitting right at 10 psi now, but after I got home from work I took off the
5' hose and replaced it with 6' thats all I had left, after a couple of draws I think it helped some but I think I will order some perlick faucets and add longer beer line maybe 8' this time, havnt ordered it yet but if u think I need longer I will order it. ordering tonite from AHB supply. After I added the 6' line I guess I still had about half beer and half foam.

I've played around with different calculators for line length. In the end I took some advice from the forum and went with 10' of line. Seems to be a good compromise for most all situations.

If you don't want to wait for your beer line, you can use the cheap plastic beverage tubing from home depot. That's all I ever used with no issues.

But Austin Homebrew Supply does have a thread up about free shipping tomorrow only for orders over $39, so if you do get the hose wait until then.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/tuesday-special-free-shipping-april-6th-171500/

I JUST had this same problem last week and was easily fixed with at least 6' of 3/16" id beer line. Don't forget that the length AND the inner diameter are important. I had about 6' of 5/16" id beer line and was getting mostly foam. Quick fix.

its been about 3 days since i made my line longer, 6' of 3/16" now. it has helped considerably but it is not consistent. 1 glass will pour with about
1/2" foam the next glass will get about 3/4" foam. I do have some perlick faucets on order an longer beer line, hopefully I will get alot better pour all the time.

When was the last time you cleaned your line/faucet/tap? If they're dirty it'll foam up, also try to purge the keg and leave the PSI set to around 3, just enough to get a pour. Over a couple of days it should calm down.

When was the last time you cleaned your line/faucet/tap? If they're dirty it'll foam up, also try to purge the keg and leave the PSI set to around 3, just enough to get a pour. Over a couple of days it should calm down.

I wouldn't recommend leaving the psi at 3. It will cause the beer to start to lose carbonation and will just cause more foaming. You will see bubbles in your beer line if this happens. It's important to match your beer temp with the volumes of co2 it's carbed at.

Back