too much carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabrew

Reaction score
second batch bottled (red ale) and have just started drinking it. The first couple bottles seemed completely normal...good carbonation, great taste and very smooth. Had a couple bottles tonight and taste is still great, but the carbonation was greater. I wouldn't say overly carbonated, but after i poured into a glass, i had to wait several minutes for it to settle down which wasn't a big deal, just different than the first few bottles.

thoughts??

thank you in advance for your input!

Also, how long have they been in the bottle. Usually week two you get a lot of what seems to be over carbonation because it has not been absorbed into the beer yet. Revvy made up a great video proving this.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Having them in the fridge for two days will help, with the absorption, after three weeks you still may have some that needs even a little longer depending on the style.
Best of luck.

ok, maybe I'll just sit tight on this one. I brewed it on 6/27, secondary on 7/2 and bottled 7/11. put a couple bottles in the fridge (about 38-40 degrees) on 7/29 and sampled the first one on 8/2.

so, should i put more bottles in the fridge and condition them there or keep them in my 65-68 degree basement (that's where i brew and ferment)?

I had the same problem wiht my first batch.... I believe my problem stemmed from too much sugar as I had lost about a gallon to the blow off during the primary ferment. Without thinking twice, I added enough sugar for five gallons when bottling but I should have added a bit less sugar. Perhaps this may be the issue?

i just used the portioned 5 oz pack of priming sugar from my LHBS. I use an airlock so didn't have any blowoff...

could there be something weird with the priming sugar??

My math isn't so great w/ calendar dates, but it looks to me like you did a 1 week primary, 9 day secondary, and then 19 days in the bottle..... You're pushing things.

I don't see what your final gravity reading was - but I'm guessing that you probably had more than enough fermentables left, and when you added your priming sugar, you just added more fermentables.

5 oz. of sugar is enough for 5 gallons of beer in 12 oz. bottles. If you ended up with less than 5 gallons after moving your beer from primary to secondary to bottle bucket, AND you still had fermentables left over ..... you're going to see lots of head.

Read up on Revvy's blog about patience & bottle conditioning:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1030387-post8.html

Now that i think about it, i conditioned all the bottles in my basement which is about 65-68 degrees. So maybe i just need to relax and give the red more time.

i did read revvy's blog and it was very helpful.

thanks for all your help everyone!!

Back