Too little sleep and mistakes are made.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBrad

Reaction score
Life is busy right now, but I’m trying to keep my brewing schedule.

Today I measured out grains for a Belgian abbey Christmas beer.

I needed 13.5 pounds of two row along with a half pound of five other malts ( Munich, caramel, aromatic, biscuit and Special B). Dark candi syrup goes in at boil.

I was draining my first runnings into the kettle when the horror struck me that I only put in half of the two row.

Here is what I’m doing now, tell me if this makes sense. If it doesn’t, oh well, it is still beer.

I still have 5 gallons of sparge water to go as a batch sparge. I milled the other 6+ pounds of malt, added this sparge water to my mash tun and stirred in the new grains.

Instead of getting 7 gallons in doing a 60 minute well, I will get 7.5 and do a 90 minute boil.

Here’s to the brewing Gods smiling on me today.

Yeah it should work. You probably won't get as good conversion and efficiency that you normally would but it's better than missing out on 6 lbs of 2-row.

The good news is I am getting very good brewhouse efficiency right now and have been over shooting original gravitys on my last four beers by 0.08 to 0.11. If I lose some efficiency I’m not coming closer to the target.

I’m draining into the cattle right now.

Back