tommarrow= my first brew. all grain. Trappist Ale. click for recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pop_shots

Reaction score
decided that tommarrow's a good day to test myself

youll notice my recipe is slightly modified, because I bought out the grain store of his base 2 and 6 row pale malts. he too tried to encourage me to buy a bunch of extract crap, but me being the stubborn fool that I am insisted otherwise ( even if this batch turns out like piss, im motivated enough to keep attempting all grain until i get it right). :)

Trappist Ale (my version)
4lb 6-row pale
4lb munich
1.5lb crystal
1oz black patent
.25 oz chocolate
1lb amber belgian sugar cubes
Hops
2 oz Hallertauer hops (60 minute boil)
1 oz Kent Golding hops (60 minute boil)

Yeast- Belgian Wit Ale, white labs liquid yeast
(oak chips will be strained over boiling wort for approx 10 minutes during full boil whilst stirring)

(here's the original recipe that I based mine off of)

Trappist Ale

8--1/2 lbs pale malt
1 lbs mild malt (or Munich malt)
.5 lbs crystal malt
1 oz black patent malt
1 lb dark brown sugar
Hops

2 oz Hallertauer hops (60 minute boil)
1 oz Kent Golding hops (60 minute boil)
Yeast Wyeast Belgian ale yeast (or culture Chimay)
Procedure Depending on your extract efficiency, this beer might come in at SG in mid-1060s or so. This is not intended to be a 1.100 beer! If you can find it, instead of using dark brown sugar, use 1 pound raw sugar crystals (seen at some gourmet food shops, but somewhat expensive). Note the mixture of continental and English hops. As the beer ought to have some body, use a starch conversion temperature of 155-8 degrees F.

any recommendations are appreciated, especially if you have a finishing hop recommendation that you think will improve the brew. i have a couple other kinds of hops sitting in my refrigerator, along with some dark malt extract, so if you think you can improve my version of the recipe, please by my guest. (i also have 2lbs of wheat..so im already thinking of instead using the 4lb munich, using 2lb wheat and 2lb munich instead.)

thanks,
-Patrick

I think splitting the wheat and Munich would probably be nice. As for the hops, what you have looks fine. Trappist beers aren't known for their hoppiness.

Also, 1.5lb of crystal might be a bit much, but you might get someone else's opinion on that.

Best of luck with it!

Back