Today's Lunch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Just about ready to come off the smoker.

Enjoy! :D

8718_1238244354404_1178118408_30750994_2226059_n.jpg

I have about 8 whole chickens in the freezer under my hops.

Maybe I'll put a couple on the smoker for the upcoming brewday-I wouldn't need to tend it, and forget to do something, as I am drinking, drinking and brewing.

Looks delicious. I did three racks of ribs on the smoker yesterday. Had them with homemade potato salad, chinese cabbage salad, homemade soft pretzels. soo tasty. It's been awhile since I've smoked a chicken. What'd you season it with?

What'd you season it with?

I brine them overnight - 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, white pepper to taste per 1 gallon of water.

I usually mix up a dry rub on my own, but I've been really digging the Southwest Chipotle mix from Mrs. Dash lately. Nice n' spicy!

Sorry to side track, but can we (I) get the recipe for this? Sounds awesome.

It's actually a little redneck, but whatever, it tastes good.

They use half to 3/4 of a head of cabbage, sliced thin so it's in shreds and not wide strips or sheets. Then they take almonds, sesame seeds, and a crunched up pack of top ramen noodles, and brown them in a frying pan with a little butter or oil. Put that mix in with the cabbage, add chopped green onions, and top with the dressing of your choice. I think the brand they use is Girards, whatever their asian/sesame flavor is.

When I make it, I usually spruce things up a little by adding julienne carrots, bell pepper, and whatever other fresh stuff I have around. I usually make it with Newman's own Sesame Ginger dressing, just because I usually have that one on hand.

Anyway, it's light, tasty, and easy. I think I might have a picture of it from the last time I did a sushi night, I'll have to dig out my camera when I get home and see if I can find it.

Edit: sorry OP for derailing the thread :D

I brine them overnight - 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, white pepper to taste per 1 gallon of water.

I usually mix up a dry rub on my own, but I've been really digging the Southwest Chipotle mix from Mrs. Dash lately. Nice n' spicy!

Nice, sounds delicious. I have a couple big strings of cayennes drying in my garage, I'm looking forward to crushing those and using them in my recipes. I usually make my own dry rubs and sauces because I can't have MSG, and a lot of popular ones have it. Lately though I've been on a kick with the Sweet Mesquite seasoning from costco, add a little red pepper or cayenne to that and the spice balances the sweetness nicely.

I need a better smoke so bad... my ECB takes so much tending I don't have any time to get other things done...

Or so I tell the wife. ;)

We hit Sam's Club a few weeks ago so I stocked up on pork butt, whole turkeys and spares. One smoked turkey and one fried turkey for Thanksgiving sound about right. I'll have to test the smoker with a bird soon.

Back