Toasting your own grain, recipe equivalents?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradmont

Reaction score
I'm looking to start toasting my own grains -- if I can buy a 25kg bag of 2-row and toast it to make some of the specialty grains myself, the savings may be substantial (and I could save running to the LHBS all the time.)

So, I was wondering if anyone has any resources listing home-toasting equivalents to common grains? I know in How To Brew Pallmer has a chart of toasting times/temps/etc to get certain flavours, but he doesn't correlate these to specific specialty malts.

Also, for those who have toasted their own grains, did you find the results were comparable to commercial specialty grains?

Thanks!

I find a 20 minute or so toasting in a 350F oven gives me malt that is similar to Victory or Biscuit or Amber malt. It's somewhat different in the same way that Victory is different from Biscuit is different from Amber, but it'll taste really good and be close enough to give you about 20L of color & some toasty taste.

Back