Toasted Rye in a Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawfman

Reaction score
I have brewed the same brown ale recipe multiple times now and have tried changing it up a bit everytime. The original recipe won first place in a local competition, it is basically the same recipe in Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles" book. I am wanting to experiment again with the recipe and add toasted rye flakes to it. I was going to add 2 pounds of rye flakes that have been toasted at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (stirring frequently). Any input if this will taste good? Here is the grain bill:

Amount Item Type
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
2.00 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain

For hops, I will use what I have on hand. So, some warrior for bittering and Amarillo and something else for flavor and aroma. Probably just FWH, 15 min, and then a hop stand. Shooting for around 40 IBU.

Sounds good. I'm thoroughly addicted to Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye, which is a lovely rye-based brown ale. The addition of rye flakes should do wonders for a basic brown ale. I'd be inclined to use a bit more hops to balance the rye but then again, I'm a hopaholic.

Back