To Sharp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigelmansell55

Reaction score
I have just made my first batch for many years and have used John Caxton lager 40p kit but have found it just a little bitter (sharp) for my taste buds is there any way at this point that I can sweeten it up to bring it nearer to my taste? It is in a pressure barrel, is clear and smells just great. hope someone can help.

nigelmansell55 said:
I have just made my first batch for many years and have used John Caxton lager 40p kit but have found it just a little bitter (sharp) for my taste buds is there any way at this point that I can sweeten it up to bring it nearer to my taste? It is in a pressure barrel, is clear and smells just great. hope someone can help.

My only thoughts are either less hops, or let the beer age a bit. My stout was rediculously bitter when I first bottled it, but it's starting to mellow out a tad the more time I let it sit for...

NUCC98 said:
My only thoughts are either less hops, or let the beer age a bit. My stout was rediculously bitter when I first bottled it, but it's starting to mellow out a tad the more time I let it sit for...

Thanks for that I will let it age for a while, i have another kit just barrelled and clear a tom caxton pisner lager and that tastes just greatso I'l just wait and see

i agree let it age for a couple months and see. if that doesnt do it then you could always brew another batch that is lightly hopped and then combine the two. Less full boil hops is the answer. Here is a link to a good article about hops utilization:
https://hoptech.com/uhops.html

Black Dog

Try adding 4 oz. of lactose at the end of the boil. Lactose is unfermentable by brewers yeast, and will leave a bit of residual sweetness.
Brew on...

Back