To much spice!? Is my beer doomed to be a laxative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotataduck

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Lavender Blonde ale following a recipe I found online. It called for 1oz lavender. I put it in the primary after fermentation and after 6 days siphoned it off to a secondary. I tasted the beer and WOW it was very heavy on the lavender. Way to much so.

MAYBE TMI- I drank a 1/2 cup of beer I was sent to the toilet. Apparently lavender is a natural laxative.

Is my beer doomed to be a refreshing laxative or is there some way I can dilute this a little bit?

You could always brew a second batch of the blonde ale without the lavender while this one is in secondary, ferment it out and then blend them into one big batch and bottle. Thus cutting the lavender in half.

Otherwise, you may try waiting it out. Spice flavor tends to fade over time, not sure about the laxative effect though.

Good luck ... sounds like a *ahem* messy situation. :D

Disclaimer up front: I don't like lavender so I've never eaten it nor researched specific doses for laxative effects.

That being said, I have a seriously hard time believing that 1oz of the stuff (assuming a 5 gal batch here) could possibly have that great of an effect in that short of a period given you only drank 1/2 a glass.

Disclaimer up front: I don't like lavender so I've never eaten it nor researched specific doses for laxative effects.

That being said, I have a seriously hard time believing that 1oz of the stuff (assuming a 5 gal batch here) could possibly have that great of an effect in that short of a period given you only drank 1/2 a glass.

I did drink the last cup of beer in the primary. So maybe it was in close proximity to the lavender. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Also, I was a little off on my measurement and ended up with 4.5 gallons.

I would say that it's much more likely that if it was the last cup in the primary then it was the yeast that gave you the runs. They are definitely a laxative :cross:

I would say that it's much more likely that if it was the last cup in the primary then it was the yeast that gave you the runs. They are definitely a laxative :cross:

Ya bro it is the yeast in this case that caused your "issues".....

Just bottled it. No more laxative effect, but it is still way to floral and almost soapy. My advice is don't use 1oz lavender in the secondary. WAY to much. maybe 1/3 -1/2.

Give it some time, it should balance out some. Come back to it in a month and taste again.

Back