To barrel, or not to barrel...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonMEAD

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have been contemplating, putting my mead in a barrel to bring out more flavor.

Unfortunately, my research on the matter has gone both ways. Some people say, barreling the mead is better, while others say it isn't.

Is it worth the money getting a barrel or should I stay away?

Any info helps, thanks.

Lol, sorry that's what I meant by, "bringing out more flavor."

I've been making mead for a couple of years now and I have always aged them in a bottle. I was always curious though if it was worth it, in purchasing one.

I use cubes and Xoakers for the most part. I purchased a few barrels that previously held Rum and Whiskey that I have/am using for pyments.

The first one in the Rum barrel came out quite nice and I wouldn't have gotten that same taste from just cobes and Xoakers. In that instance I wanted the added flavor from what was previously in the barrel. With absorption and batches that didn't quite tope the barrels off I am turning them weekly to make sure that I do not let the barrel dry out. I am also periodically removing the rubber bung to top up with CO2 while it sits and ages.

For the added cost, I could purchase a 6 gallon torpedo keg for aging and add oak... but I don't regret the oak barrel based on that first batch.

That's a long way of saying go for it if you want that added influence and don't mind dealing with the barrel maintenance. Which you should read up on before jumping in.

another thing to consider: regardless of what type of wood you use, they will stop imparting at about 140 days

Back