Tips for "Quick" Funky and Sour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottleBombs

Reaction score
I'd like any tips/tricks/recipes you may have for brewing a funky/sour beer in under 7 months. I realize that 1 to 2 years would be ideal, but I'm brewing for a yearly trip.

All grain, 5 gallon batch, bottle conditioning, would like to incorporate fruit, hopefully ready by October. This would be my first time brewing a funky beer.

Thanks in advance!

You can definitely produce a mixed ferm sour in 7 months, mash low and it will reach terminal gravity within the first 3/4 months.
I often use saison yeasts so the beer reaches terminal gravity in about a month.

Funk wise, pitching Brett and brewers yeast at the same time In primary would deliver quick results.

Sourness could be trickier, you could always sour mash but i would just use a low ibu recipie say 10/15 ibus and then have healthy lacto in the culture you pitch.

7 months really isn't that shorter time though, jolly pumpkin package beer a couple months after brewing.

With that said, time turns a good beer into a great beer and if you get any major off flavours they would need time to age out.
The chances are 7 months is fine though.

Thanks for the help. A few follow up questions:

Kettle souring - should I do a starter for the 605? Can I then pitch more lacto with the ale yeast in the primary, or is that not necessary?

Should I be concerned with over-carbonating when bottle conditioning?

Thanks for the help. A few follow up questions:

Kettle souring - should I do a starter for the 605? Can I then pitch more lacto with the ale yeast in the primary, or is that not necessary?

Should I be concerned with over-carbonating when bottle conditioning?

I was advised to make a starter with 605.
Once you have soured for 48-72 hours you re-boil to kill bugs. Then pitch ale yeast and ferment.
The addition of more lacto would bring about more sourness over time.
You can get a decent sourness with 605, it won't make you pucker, but noticeable sour.
Also don't use any hops with 605, atleast until after you have soured

Don't know how sour you want it..but if you just leave your collected wort stored in a sealed bucket un-boild for a week around 50 to 60 degrees it will sour up just fine. Boil it up and ferment as normal.

You don't have to boil again post-lacto souring. If you want something really sour, just do the lacto for 2-3 days then pitch your Sacc/Brett +/- pedio and let it ride

Latest posts

Back