Tipping at Hooters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNye

Reaction score
Okay so I called in an order tonite for pickup. Get there and the hostess says Julie the Bartender will ring you up. Great. Hand her the debit card and she hands me my reciept to sign. Its got the tip line on it. WTF? I just draw a line though it and sign it.

She promptly puts it away and walks away and serves another customer down the bar. I'm left standing there waiting. I notice a large order bagged up ready to go right next to the hostess, but of course I wait. Julie walks back after about 2 mintues and says to the hostess "Joe's order is up." Says nothing to me. I grab my food kinda perturbed.

So I am left thinking, did I do something wrong. Am I supposed to tip her for ringing me up? In any case that ain't ever gonna happen. Wing Stop next time, fries are better anyways!

yeah. that's always weird. i used to be a waiter. people tipped me a lot of times (it was a fancy restaurant) but it was always like, wtf? because i wasn't empty handed when i left the kitchen? why tip me for that? i wasn't mad about it, but i felt like i didn't earn it or anything.

i waited tables for years, and as a former waiter, i do NOT expect people to tip me for not waiting on them.

hope that makes you feel better.:mug:

meant to say, people tipped me alot of times for to go orders. soryy i've been drinking

I might do it for a smaller business, $1 tip. I would probably do it for a place that is open extra late, like a Chinese take out kind of thing where I have very few options at that time of night, again a $1 tip. If you can tip a bartender $1 for a beer or two or a barista for a coffee, you can tip the person who hands you your food $1 also. That said, I generally don't tip for regular dinner hours at a chain restaurant.

Tipping is a really strange thing if you think about it. I've worked for 40+ years and never had anyone give me a tip.Why not just pay an employee a decent salary and fold the cost into your price?

lets you decide how well to pay your waiter based on how good of a job he/she did. waiters basically work for the customer. if they got paid by the hour there would be less incentive to do a really good job, and you would HAVE to pay if it were already included. tips can kinda suck for the waiter, because you could work all night and not make enough for gas to drive home, but that gives you reason to try as hard as you can. I actually really loved my job as a waiter. I had to give it up so i could be home with my wife and kids at night, and have a steady income. But for a single guy/gal it was a really fun job. meet a ton of people, i'd say at least 95% really cool people. and that gamble that you might make a ton of money or you might leave broke. it was like a game, i had a TON of fun doing it.

If I have to go someplace to pick up my order, I don't tip. I don't tip at Dunkin' Donuts either. When I tip at restaurants, I tip according to the quality of the service. I tip furniture and appliance deliverymen. I'm just thinking I should tip the UPS guy since he brings me beer stuff... Tipping certainly has gotten more pervasive though.

I tipped the priest for performing my wedding ceremony (I've heard they now have "suggested" amounts), I wonder if I could get my money back....?

I'm a pretty reasonable tipper.

I was so happy with the service at the Big Bang in Tempe that I tipped my waiter $16 on a $19 tab.

On the other hand when I goto Club Rodeo in Wichita and they're opening up a coors light and filling a shotglass with a pre-mixed (damn that agitates me) $1 shot then no, you're getting some change or something.

On the flipside I always tip especially well at my bar up the street because I want them to like me and not kick me out :D

Just depends on the service.

I don't tip for to-go orders.. I think the receipt has the tip line on it because that's just how their printer prints all receipts since it's a restaurant and most of the sit-down customers will be tipping.

I don't tip for to-go orders.. I think the receipt has the tip line on it because that's just how their printer prints all receipts since it's a restaurant and most of the sit-down customers will be tipping.

yes

Wait a second.

:confused:

What's the point of ordering TAKEOUT from Hooter's? I mean, if you're not going to stay for the "atmosphere".... well, I don't know anyone who goes there for the food!

At the chain restaurants that I get take-out from during lunch, I don't generally add a tip. At the small family owned places, I do. Even then the tip I give is never nearly as much as if I was eating in.

Wait a second.

What's the point of ordering TAKEOUT from Hooter's? I mean, if you're not going to stay for the "atmosphere".... well, I don't know anyone who goes there for the food!

LOL If you get to see the cashier's cleavage, then you should tip her.

Right. That's what I figured. But the bartender gave me the feeling that she didn't feel the same. Oh well. For the record I'm a good tipper when the situation calls for a tip.

Wait a second.

+1 I end up paying double for food without the experience. BS. Of course you can prolly guess why I have to do this.(Someone doesn't like Wingstop, yet its nearly the same friggin food!)

Maybe she was miffed that you drew a line through the tip. People did that kind of thing to me all the time, drawing a line through it or writing in zeros, and it always bugged me because not only were they making it very clear that they knew a tip was expected, but they were essentially accusing me of being dishonest. If they just left it blank I could at least pretend that they forgot.

But anyway, I tip on takeout, just less than I would if I was dining in. A buck plus the change, usually. Unless you know the store's policies, you could be stiffing the person who prepared and packaged your food without even realizing it.

I always draw a line through the tip portion.. I'm not accusing anyone of being dishonest, just making my intention clear - has nothing to do with knowing a tip is expected, in fact it's basically the opposite - I'll draw a line through the tip when i think a tip isn't expected or if I've left the tip in cash.

If the store has a policy that would make a tip for takeout obligitory, they should post a sign saying such - otherwise I think most people feel the same - if you don't get waited on, no alchoholic beverages were poured, no food was delivered, etc. then a tip isn't necessary.

you could be stiffing the person who prepared and packaged your food without even realizing it.

I doubt the bartender has time to put orders togther, she doesn't, in her downtime she leans over the bar and BSes with customers.

Wait a second.

Ain't that the truth. Personally, I think the food there is so bad that the atmosphere doesn't even come close to making up for it. But then, the nearest Hooter's is over a half hour away, so I suppose it makes the decision a whole lot easier for me.

My girlfriend works as a server so I get to see a little bit about how it works (at least where she works). The food preparation people and hostesses get paid a regular wage, not a food service wage, so the servers don't share tips with them. Not to say this is how it works everywhere, just here. When people get takeout orders, they pick them up from the bar. The way I see it, the bartender pretty much did nothing to contribute to the order other than take the payment. The people who did all the work was the hostesses for taking the order and the food prep people. Since they don't get to see any of the tip that I might or might not leave, I don't feel bad for not leaving one.

But as was already stated, other places might pool their tips and share with everyone. And with that in mind, you could be "stiffing" the staff. But when it comes down to it, I think its pretty much the minimum amount of work to do to fill my order. It's not like anyone needed to keep an eye on my drink to make sure it got refilled, or getting me more steak sauce when the bottle runs out, or even helping me decide between the chicken special or the pasta dish. But by all means, if anyone thinks that the brief contact they had with employees is deserving of a tip, then please reward them accordingly. I'm sure it won't be quickly forgotten.

On a disturbing note, I had an employee at a major pizza establishment get mad at me for not leaving a tip when I PICKED UP MY OWN PIZZA. The funny part about it was that they didn't even place the order. I ordered it online, so the only thing they had to do with it was to make it, cut it, and box it up. I don't see how that deserves a tip.

wow.. that's harsh. It's an ugly thing when someone expects a tip and gets mad when you don't leave one. Maybe in their mind they are thinking that they've now conditioned you to leave a tip. In reality, they've probably made you decide to take your business elsewhere.

I tip for takeout. Pays off in the long run. Went to a usual haunt a couple fridays ago and the takeout order taker recognized me immediately. He said there were about 20 orders before me. Strangely, mine came out before I was even half way through my pint at the bar. :rockin:

Food service is a soul-crushing job. I don't mind throwing a few bucks their way.

The problem as a waiter is that your taxed 10% extra based on the earnings of the resturant where you work.

If she gave you 20 dollars of product she gets taxed for 2 dollars of income on that. Essentially if you dont tip she pays taxes on money she never received.

Yes, its messed up. But even paying them a decent salary wont change this because if everyone stopped tipping they would still end up paying taxes on the tips they never received based on the declared income of the restaurant.

In Norway you arnt expected to tip, its a gratuity for a server if they gave extraordinary service, not an assumed thing. Good way to keep your employees honest and hard working, but in the states that ideal has been totally lost, and until the tax system changes it will only get worse.

Wait a second.

The "atmosphere" is MUCH better at Tilted Kilt. And it is closer to my home. So if I go to Hooters, it is for the food. I like the food better at Hooters, but the scenery is, as I said, MUCH better at Tilted Kilt.

The problem as a waiter is that your taxed 10% extra based on the earnings of the resturant where you work.

If she gave you 20 dollars of product she gets taxed for 2 dollars of income on that. Essentially if you dont tip she pays taxes on money she never received.

Yes, its messed up. But even paying them a decent salary wont change this because if everyone stopped tipping they would still end up paying taxes on the tips they never received based on the declared income of the restaurant.

Umm not quite. The restaurant will report a fraction of your sales to the IRS and if you report less than that on your income tax, it is likely to flag an audit. It's usually around 8%, but at least in my experience (and some of my friends) restaurants are leaving it up to the employee to decide if they want to play the tax evasion game or not.

It's to prevent waitstaff from trying to stiff the IRS... if you don't make whatever your employer reports, you better be ready to prove it.

.Why not just pay an employee a decent salary and fold the cost into your price?

+100%

if they got paid by the hour there would be less incentive to do a really good job, and you would HAVE to pay if it were already included.

What a load of crap, I always get great service in Belgium/NL and theres no tipping.

The "atmosphere" is MUCH better at Tilted Kilt. And it is closer to my home. So if I go to Hooters, it is for the food. I like the food better at Hooters, but the scenery is, as I said, MUCH better at Tilted Kilt.

Oh...My....God.....I love google today...

kilt2.jpg

gril_group1.png

kilt3.bmp

Hot babes in tight tartan.....huminahuminahumina....:ban:

I don't go to the Tilted Kilt with the wife. Occasionally I'll make plans to go out with the guys at BW3's, and sometimes plans change en route.:eek:

Many people here (EE. UU.) forget that a gratuity is for outstanding service. It's become almost mandatory. I tip in cash so the server might get a break come tax time....

Damn you.

I didn't know about Tilted Kilt. Now I do. There's one not 10 miles from my house.

There goes my play money...

Maybe I'm too generous but I always tip. I usually tip less for pick up but at least 10%. I'm not sure why things are the way they are as far as tips vs. getting paid a decent wage but I know if it was my son, daughter, brother, or sister making a few bucks an hour and surviving on tips I would appreciate someone throwing them a few bones if they could.

Back