tiny white specs floating after racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjr721

Reaction score
i know, i don't need to rack to a secondary, i can't help but to meddle. it may not be anything. i have small white specs floating on top of my brew, don't think its yeast, could be, i'm thinking maybe mold. i racked to secondary day before yesterday. the biggest is probably an 1/8 inch. no movement in brew, no bubbles from airlock, it is done fermenting. only been a week since brewed. if it is mold should i rack to bottling bucket without getting any of the specs then bottle or wait it out

fuzzy does not sound good, but dont panic and be patient. If it tastes bad after it has been aged then it is a problem. I have worried numerous times about my beer during fermentation and it is always for nothing.

Look close at them. I had the same thing happen to me, thought it was infected a day after racking into secondary. Looked closer at them and they were just small groups of tiny bubbles of CO2.

A picture would be of better help.

yeah, agreed, i wiggled it around a bit (not open) and they changed shaped, got long, CO2 and some suspended yeast. no worries. thanks for all of the fast responses. i will be watching it closely today. it did get up to 79 degrees in the house today, may have caused a little more fermenting activity.

They're just yeast rafts, its nothing, there's several hundred thousand panicked new brewer threads about it. It's just yeast buoyed up from the surface by co2. The surface of beer is rarely clear, ESPECIALLY if it's been disturbed some way, like when we move it or rack it....

Even if there (rare) was mold i would think you could just skimm it off. If anybody is familar with making saurkrout thats what you do. But then again would this mean lactobacillas in the beer? For the Op: it does sound like yeast rafts i think it would be hard to grow mold so early.

Has anyone actually seen mold in beer? I am guessing some species of mold might be able to live in alcohol... Of all the posts like these that I read, along with "bad tasting" threads, I have never actually seen a legit "It is mold!" thread. I've read that in several books that there are no harmful organisms that can survive in beer that will cause harm.

Ugh. It is just wort turning to beer.

If you want mold, pull off the airlock and let is sit for awhile, like a month.

Has anyone actually seen mold in beer? I am guessing some species of mold might be able to live in alcohol... Of all the posts like these that I read, along with "bad tasting" threads, I have never actually seen a legit "It is mold!" thread. I've read that in several books that there are no harmful organisms that can survive in beer that will cause harm.

It's possible to get mold on the SURFACE of the beer.. The area that would come in contact with any oxygen in the headspace. It's no big deal, it happens from time to time, and it's not harmful and doesn't affect the beer below. All you have to do is CAREFULLY rack below the surface of the beer, leaving the mold behind- you lose maybe an inch of beer.

But this is usually in beer that has sat STAGNANT for a long length of time, where the airlock has somehow been compromised. But it's NOT going to happen in some beer you JUST RACKED.

That's the thing new brewers do, they don't think that something like yeast rafts are normal, they want to instantly assume something's wrong AND they fail to look that what they recently did as a cause for whatever they're worried about. They don't go "Hey I just move my beer" (or bumped the fermenter) THEREFORE I probably just disturbed something...."

They always seem to want to default to the worst case scenario.....

I did once.. I found a half drank MGD hiding out with some little white and green floaters! So much for domestic preservatives. I created penicillin with bad beer, it's a miracle!! :drunk:

Ugh. It is just wort turning to beer.

If you want mold, pull off the airlock and let is sit for awhile, like a month.

if its such a bother to you that you have to say Ugh. then don't post, if you noticed in my original post i said it is probably nothing, just wanted some input, that is what this forum is for, hence the title "beginners beer brewing forum". then a couple of posts later you will see that i agreed that they are co2 and yeast.

It's possible to get mold on the SURFACE of the beer.. The area that would come in contact with any oxygen in the headspace. It's no big deal, it happens from time to time, and it's not harmful and doesn't affect the beer below. All you have to do is CAREFULLY rack below the surface of the beer, leaving the mold behind- you lose maybe an inch of beer.

Info I did not know. Thanks so much, Revvy. :)

Back