tiny switch for chugger pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did not state which Chugger pump you have. The typical home brew pump is 1/20 HP which is in hte 1/2 amp range at 115 Volts so your switch will be fine.

yes sorry I will be using the 1/20 hp model. They say it draws 2 amps with the impeller on. So I'm safe to assume that 2 amps is going to be the max draw?

I would reconsider that switch if I were you... For as much use as it will see and the size of it, I would consider something a little more robust. That is really tiny I used tiny switches like that in a golf cart lighting panel and I had one break internally after little use.

Well, it is good to 5A with 120V, so I would thing you should be just fine with your application. That (quick calculation in my head) is 2.5 times the rated current for the switch which seems pretty safe to me.

Well, it is good to 5A with 120V, so I would thing you should be just fine with your application. That (quick calculation in my head) is 2.5 times the rated current for the switch which seems pretty safe to me.

It will work, for a short time at least and if he is always careful switching it maybe a long time... But all the tiny switches of I have dealt with of that type are not very heavy duty in their construction so contact rating aside its still not a great choice considering how many times it might get turned on and off per brew session.

the picture is deceiving we are not talking about a regular sized switch of that type that you would find at the home depot for twice as much... These are cheap Chinese $2 switches and that doesnt play well with the delicate size. I made the same mistake myself using plastc push button tiny switches for my dc pumps and ended up replacing them multiple times before ripping them out and going with better illuminated switches for $6 each.

as others mentions a regular wall toggle would be better or at least a full size toggle switch. But its totally your choice. I'm just trying to help you avoid was I've gone through.

Back