Timing of O.G. Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Jay

Reaction score
Just had a wonderful brewday yesterday (Belgian Saison). I had just pitched the yeast and my friend asked what the OG was. That was when I realized I forgot to steal a sample for the OG reading. I thought, what the hell, and took a sample - yeast and all. The OG was 1.064, right as expected. Now, is it possible that the reading was skewed because I took it AFTER pitching the yeast? Or does that matter?

There was probably some effect from the yeast, but I doubt it was significant in any way.

Brew-Jay said:
Just had a wonderful brewday yesterday (Belgian Saison). I had just pitched the yeast and my friend asked what the OG was. That was when I realized I forgot to steal a sample for the OG reading. I thought, what the hell, and took a sample - yeast and all. The OG was 1.064, right as expected. Now, is it possible that the reading was skewed because I took it AFTER pitching the yeast? Or does that matter?

IMHO if you took the sample immediately after pitching the yeast the possible in accuracy of the reading is minimal to none. The issue really comes in once fermentation has started. That being said you really should read before pitching.

Back