Time to Hop??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Hey All,

I brewed an Anchor Liberty ale last thurs. It has been fermenting for about 1 week and is starting to wind down (clearing). Im probably going to wait until next thurs to take a F.G. reading. (that will be 2 weeks in primary)

Should I dry hop now so it will be in the primary for 1 week. Or, should i dry hop after I transfer to the secondary next week.

I will be using pellets to dry hop with. Also, Do i need to sanitize if i add them to either the primary or the secondary?

bigjohnmilford said:
I'd wait until you've racked it over.

Any particular logic? It seems dry hopping in primary would leave more crap behind during transfer. Is it more sanitary to wait though?

I normally dry hop in the secondary or keg. I suppose you could do it in the primary, but it's prob best to wait until transfer when fermentation is just about done.

And don't worry about sanitizing the hops. It's pretty difficult to get infections on hops, so just be clean about adding them. (Don't roll them around in the dirt first. :cross: ) Then the debate will be hop bag or no. I've tried both ways, and with pellets, they both are tricky in their own ways. My method now is to just throw em in, and don't worry. So what if you get a few pieces of hops in you bottles/keg. :D

It's better to wait until primary fermentation is done and you've racked to the secondary so that you minimize the amount of hop aroma you lose from CO2 scrubbing.

Don't worry about a hop bag if you're using pellets. Do give them plenty of time to settle down to the bottom, though. A gentle rocking or two each day also will encourage that settling.

TL

TexLaw said:
It's better to wait until primary fermentation is done and you've racked to the secondary so that you minimize the amount of hop aroma you lose from CO2 scrubbing.

Don't worry about a hop bag if you're using pellets. Do give them plenty of time to settle down to the bottom, though. A gentle rocking or two each day also will encourage that settling.

TL

Yea im not worried about the hop bag. I will wait then until it is in my secondary. Last time i dry hopped the secondary with pellets it stayed at the top. I will have to try the rocking method.

Latest posts

Back