Tilt Hydrometer -- Need to Log Locally to Raspberry Pi or Laptop.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowleyMonster

Reaction score
My brew room is in our new house and we don't have internet there, yet, and I am not there all the time to throw a hotspot with my cell phone. In fact, we are going to Arizona Monday morning and we won't be back until the following Monday. I have a batch in the fermenter and it isn't QUITE done, airlock still blurping currently every 54 seconds or so. Tilt is still showing very very slight attenuation. I would like to be able to set up something that will log temp and SG while I am gone. I don't need remote access because I don't have internet at the new house anyway. Is there a solution out there?

Tilt Pi will do it. You can have it log to itself, and you can review it later. Plus, once you DO get internet there, you'll be able to get it to push to the cloud, so you'll be able to check when not home. If your router/WAP (or mesh AP) isn't close to that location, I'd look to run an ethernet cable to the Pi at that point.

I went with the Tilt Pi setup here since it has low power consumption and I don't need to worry about a tablet wanting to reboot or something. I ran an ethernet cable because the Pi (4) couldn't reach my WAP (fermenters in the basement, router on the second floor, 1980's construction). With the Pi option, you can decide if you want to go with a display, or not. If I was to do it again (or if I pull down a newer version) I'll go with the version that supports a display. Even though I don't have one for it. That way I can glance at the state when in that room and not need to use another device. But I'll be able to check via the url of Tilt Pi or the cloud spreadsheet as well. IMO, best of both worlds.

Thanks for that. I looked at the Tilt Pi and it looked like I needed internet connectivity to make it work. I will give it a try.

I have ZERO internet connectivity available at the new house. Nothing. We aren't living there yet so we haven't had any comms set up there yet. So far, all I have is the Tilt floating in the BMB, and the Tilt 2 app on my phone which is always with me, and it doesn't log locally, either. I can't even set an update rate or a running averageing time.

I do have a few RPi's laying around, not being used. One for the brew room would be no great hardship to set up.

IIRC, you'll just need a way to get to the Tilt Pi to set it up. I was able to get into the item (attacked a display and keyboard for a short span) and do some file tweaking on mine. If you go with the version that will use a display, you might be able to do more of the setup that way. Since you have the hardware on hand, it won't cost you anything to give it a shot. ;)

Back