Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuie

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for a recipe that will get me close? I guess it's Newcastle'ish, but it has A LOT more going on.

TIA

FWIW, here is what I have in the fermenter right now:

Grains:
2lbs - Pale Ale Euro, cracked
1lb - CL60, cracked
8oz - Chocolate, cracked
a negligible 0.85 oz of Roasted Barley, cracked
4oz - Carapils

Steeped grains for 1hr @ 150-160 degrees

added extract - 3lbs Gold Light DME, 3lbs unhopped amber LME and boiled for 1hr total
-@15 minutes I added ~1/2 of a 1oz package of Cluster pellet hops 7.9% AA
-@45 minutes I grated maybe 1/2 tbsp of orange peel into the wort for aroma and added 1/2 tbsp of irish moss

added Wyeast 1007 liquid German Ale Yeast to the wort after everything was chilled.

bump...

Any thoughts? Does anyone have a recipe for something like a bolder more chocolatey Newcastle?

bump.... almost a year later. Is anyone into the Tilburg Dutch Brown Ale yet???

I haven't brewed anything even close yet. I have no idea for a potential recipe. A year later, it almost seems like a blended Trappist/Nut Brown Ale kind of beer to me.

Any thoughts for a clone?

I brewed something up yesterday that may be similar to Tilburg's. I had never heard of it before, but googled "Trappist Brown Ale" to find out if there was anything similar to what I had made. I will try some Tilburg's out at Christmas (can't get it in KY) and try to figure out if I've made anything similar. From the descriptions I've read, I think the secret is probably in the yeast.

I was getting ready to rack my Trippel and wanted to use the yeast cake for a new brew. I also had a hankering for a brown ale. So, I figured I'd just toss a Sam Smith's clone on top of the Trappist Ale yeast cake. I made this recipe up by comparing a variety of Sam Smith clone recipes. I screwed up one thing: I added a whole pound of Crystal 40L instead of a half pound like I meant to (I get distracted easily sometimes):drunk:. When I was looking at the recipe at hopville, it was insanely on the malty side, so I added some phoenix hops to bitter it up a bit.

Steeped for 1/2 hour at 160* F in two gal of water:

1# Pale Malt, 6 Row, US
1# Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
.75# Briess Special Roast
.5# Victory Malt
.25# Chocolate Malt

Brought to boil and added 6.6# Light Malt Extract Syrup

Returned to boil and added the following hops at the following intervals:

boil 60 mins 1.0 oz Phoenix pellet 10.0% AA
boil 30 mins 0.5 oz Fuggles pellet 4.2% AA
boil 30 mins 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings pellet 4.5% AA
boil 15 mins 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings pellet 4.5% AA

Pitched on to a cake of Wyeast 3787

I'll add tasting notes when I bottle and again a few weeks later, but I'm thinking this will need some time. I'll aim at a month in primary and a month bottle conditioning. This is a real wacky recipe, so we'll see if it turns out ok.:mug:

Latest posts

Back