Thunder Group 60 qt Stock Pot Ripoff!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
I recently bought one of the 60 qt stock pots from Thunder Group to turn into a kettle. Thunder Group ALSKSP009 60 qt. Aluminum Stock Pot | TigerChef

It is advertised as 4.3mm aluminum. Since this is my first purchase like this (and I was hoping my last) I thought that 4.3mm implied that the thickness of the pot would be 4.3mm... Well the top of the pot is, and I think the bottom of the pot is close to that. But after about 2 inches down from the top the sides of the pot become 2mm :mad:

I learned this the hard way when I drilled out a hole for a valve. I was very disappointed to say the least. I really feel duped, and thought I would put up a warning on here. If they advertised it as 2mm walls I'd be fine but I think their description is very misleading!

2012-01-14 10.05.42.jpg

2012-01-14 10.04.37.jpg

Seems like it's thick in the places that count? Is there something I'm missing?

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that the thickness applies to the bottom of the pot. Don't know if that is accurate or not, though.

I understand you're not happy, but I think that pot will do you fine for many brews. I have a very similar aluminum stock pot that I paid about $20 more for that was my boild kettle for a long time, and now servers as my HLT. IT works like a champ, and I'm sure your's will as well.

Have a beer and relax, it's a great pot at a great price.

Back