Through the wall 3 tap hidden keezer build -Done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really cool. A lot of well done projects on these forums. You know how popular I'd be with that setup? Well done sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the reply. Your "coffin box" is made out of plexi glass then? I guess I was assuming it was all wood lined with foam.

I copied your design of the box (airflow) as well as ran the piping higher to help distribute the cold airflow.

Works awesome! Thanks for the guidance!

Looks awesome!

I am in the process of a similar type of setup... What size collar / pvc did you go with? I'm debating between how large to get maximum air circulation.
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Your "coffin box" is made out of plexi glass then? I guess I was assuming it was all wood lined with foam.

It is wood, lined with insulation foam inside and sealed for moisture with metal duct sealant tape.

I copied your design of the box (airflow) as well as ran the piping higher to help distribute the cold airflow.

Works awesome! Thanks for the guidance!

Great to hear! lets see some pictures!

Looks awesome!

I am in the process of a similar type of setup... What size collar / pvc did you go with? I'm debating between how large to get maximum air circulation.
Thanks!

I think I did a 6" (5.5" actual) board and 3" PVC (I am pretty sure anyway).

I use two fans, one at the bottom of the keezer to move air up to the top and the one in the wall box to move air through the pvc.

hope this helps!

Great job and inspiring me to make one also :rockin:

I have a question about the cool box, is made of wood? 1 x 6 I would assume?

This is an excellent design, I love it and I'm sure it was incredibly cost effective. I just purchased a house and was looking for a similar solution. Lots of good ideas!

Great build. Is there any way you can snap a pic of inside your keezer now that you are finished? I am looking at doing something essentially exactly the same. I am wondering where your fan is mounted on the inside of your keezer. I have a pretty good temp differential from the top and the bottom of my keezer as I haven't installed a fan yet (I don't have foaming issues so it hasn't been a priority). Unless I extend the 3" down into my keezer, I will be pulling pretty warm air into the box. Do you have a separate fan system inside your keezer or did you extend the 3" down into the keezer?

The warping problem you mentioned is great info for folks trying to do a similar build. Have there been any other things you have seen that have either been a problem or that you would improve? Any condensation problems anywhere? I did notice you installed some additional insulation inside the box compared to when you first built it. Was that to reduce the amount of airspace in the box? Thanks for the input.

You sir, have an awesome setup... If/when we move to the next house (which will have a basement) this is going to happen.

Great build. Is there any way you can snap a pic of inside your keezer now that you are finished? I am looking at doing something essentially exactly the same. I am wondering where your fan is mounted on the inside of your keezer. I have a pretty good temp differential from the top and the bottom of my keezer as I haven't installed a fan yet (I don't have foaming issues so it hasn't been a priority). Unless I extend the 3" down into my keezer, I will be pulling pretty warm air into the box. Do you have a separate fan system inside your keezer or did you extend the 3" down into the keezer?

The warping problem you mentioned is great info for folks trying to do a similar build. Have there been any other things you have seen that have either been a problem or that you would improve? Any condensation problems anywhere? I did notice you installed some additional insulation inside the box compared to when you first built it. Was that to reduce the amount of airspace in the box? Thanks for the input.

I am not using that fridge as part of the setup anymore. I needed more taps. I was however using a few fans inside the keezer. I found that having them mounted to the collar with an alternating pattern of pushing and pulling air at a angled horizontal approach to work best. Make sure you use bearing fans and not bushing types for horizontal mounting, bushing fans wear out quickly when horizontal. You can use metal angle L brackets to mount the fans.

I did get a little condensation in the bottom of the keezer, but no more than most. To stop the pvc pipes from dripping I wrapped them in Hvac foil backed pipe wrap insulation. This really helped.

The extra insulation in the box was for the extra airspace, there was no need to have. The block in the middle was a piece of Styrofoam that I wrapped in foil tape. It helped reduce airspace and direct the incoming cold air right over the tap shanks.

I would recommend that anyone who builds this seals the area where the pipes go through the collar with silicone. I found a little mold on the wood when I pulled it apart.

See the pictures attached for info about the fans.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

View attachment 1439379341991.jpg

View attachment 1439379373274.jpg

View attachment 1439379404755.jpg

Really nice setup.

I see four fans total, do you think that's overkill? I'm just wondering. I have one fan in my keezer, although it's a bit smaller than yours, I think it's plenty to move air.

I would add another fan if you think it's really doing something. Does it help with condensation? or is it just moving air?

Really nice setup.

I see four fans total, do you think that's overkill? I'm just wondering. I have one fan in my keezer, although it's a bit smaller than yours, I think it's plenty to move air.

I would add another fan if you think it's really doing something. Does it help with condensation? or is it just moving air?

The fans came in a pack of 4. They are all wired to the same transformer. My keezer is huge, I can fit 10 kegs in this one. I don't want to rely on 1 fan when there are no downsides to 4. With the outside box for the taps the extra airflow is very helpful to really keep temperature variations to a minimum.

I really appreciate the response. That great info. I am going back and forth between the 2 pipe air supply and return and the single version. If you haven't seen the single pipe version it is simply one 3" PVC with a smaller 1" flex pipe going in this along with the lines (see attached for an example). The air is forced in the 1" and comes back through the 3" PVC. Now that you have done the 2 pipe version, do you have an opinion on which method would be preferable? I think the 2 pipe option is a lot more simple but having only 1 pipe does have its advantages (less penetrations, less air volume, etc.).

Also, what did you end up changing it all up to? Did you expand? I am planning on having 3 taps inside but I'll still have around 5 taps that I can access just by going in the garage (through a door and down about 4 or 5 steps).

wall_mount.jpg

I am not using that fridge as part of the setup anymore. I needed more taps. I was however using a few fans inside the keezer. I found that having them mounted to the collar with an alternating pattern of pushing and pulling air at a angled horizontal approach to work best. Make sure you use bearing fans and not bushing types for horizontal mounting, bushing fans wear out quickly when horizontal. You can use metal angle L brackets to mount the fans.

I did get a little condensation in the bottom of the keezer, but no more than most. To stop the pvc pipes from dripping I wrapped them in Hvac foil backed pipe wrap insulation. This really helped.

The extra insulation in the box was for the extra airspace, there was no need to have. The block in the middle was a piece of Styrofoam that I wrapped in foil tape. It helped reduce airspace and direct the incoming cold air right over the tap shanks.

I would recommend that anyone who builds this seals the area where the pipes go through the collar with silicone. I found a little mold on the wood when I pulled it apart.

See the pictures attached for info about the fans.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Wanted to bump this to see if you're around. I'm finishing my wiring this weekend and starting to get parts in. I need to make a decision on the whole one pipe two pipe thing. Any input based on your experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Use 2 pipes, the airspace inside is cramped with the lines already, fitting the air hose inside would be a pita. Also getting good air flow through the small house in guessing is difficult without a higher power fan. Just my .02

I did, air was a million times easier and didn't require a pump system and possibly a second colder chiller for the glycol

Use 2 pipes, the airspace inside is cramped with the lines already, fitting the air hose inside would be a pita. Also getting good air flow through the small house in guessing is difficult without a higher power fan. Just my .02

Thanks! That's what I needed to hear.

So why did you move to a different setup?

It might work great, but it should be colder than the ambient temp of the keezer. Most people who do that store the glycol in a container in a freezer around 0 degrees. I didn't want that headache. I changed systems because I moved and I don't have a place for this anymore. I also added a lot more taps.

This is 99% of what I am going to do! Well done!

I was planning on one fan at the bottom of the return line in the freezer. I figured that would circulate air in the freezer and pull air through the insulated box.

My tap box is just going to be sealed foam board. Nothing around the wall to worry about it needing to be rigid.

I assume the PVC is wrapped in bubble wrap insulation?

Kevin

Great set up, I actually just finished my set up(pictures to come) and I tried to replicate yours as best I could and it turned out great!:mug:

So I tapped my first keg a few days ago and it was working great, but after a few a day or so the keg froze! I have the keezer down to the lowest possible setting, any suggestions as how to stop this from happening?

Great set up! I just finished my set up (pictures to follow) and replicated yours as closely as possible and it turned out great! :mug:

The one issue I have now is that my first keg froze after a day or so in keezer! I have it down to the lowest setting possible, but is still giving me issues. Any thoughts as to what I can do to fix this?

Never had that problem. What's the temperature you're set to? Maybe make a small shelf to get them off the bottom of the freezer. Maybe make it out of oven racks or wire fridge shelves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet bar!

As cowboy1 says above, do you have a temp controller? I don't see one in the pics.

What is the thick plack hose/line?

Kevin

Sweet bar!

As cowboy1 says above, do you have a temp controller? I don't see one in the pics.

What is the thick plack hose/line?

Kevin

Thanks and I think the hose is a pump that pulls cold air from bottom of the freezer up to the tap box.

Thanks and I think the hose is a pump that pulls cold air from bottom of the freezer up to the tap box.

Was looking at this on my Kindle last night, and couldn't really see the pics. I think you're right, and I think I might have to do that with mine! Good way to get circulation!

K

Problem with the air hose though is the lines in the pvc next to it might not get very cold. Please report if it foams. I would expect it works, I'm just curious if it works as well as just moving air through the pvc.

Any suggestions to stop the kegs from freezing in the keezer?

I placed the temp probe as low in the freezer as possible and set the controller to 35F. With a 3F temp swing plus or minus that places the bottom of the keg just at the freezing pointy of water, which I figure is safe since alcohol freezes a bit lower.

Thanks everyone for the help. I purchased a ITC-308 on Amazon and it came yesterday (Prime is a great thing!). I got everything set up last night, and allowed the freezer to adjust overnight. I went down this morning and placed my probe in a bottle of water that had been cooling to get a more accurate gauge, thus far it seems to be working great.

As for the black hose that is attached to a small blower I rigged up to push cold air up to the taps, and the second PVC acts as a return duct. Some of the blowers on the supply websites were running as high as $150 just to have a nozzle to attach a hose to which I thought was a bit much. I bought that blower off Amazon for about $50 and was able to rig up the rest for about $15 worth of parts from Home Depot.

I will report back any issues with foaming, but I do not foresee any.

Problem with the air hose though is the lines in the pvc next to it might not get very cold. Please report if it foams. I would expect it works, I'm just curious if it works as well as just moving air through the pvc.

I put my keg back in last night and let it settle through the night to get a more accurate gauge if there would be foam. Tested it out this morning and the first poor came out perfect so it is a success! Granted my PVC run is not that long so that could factor in as well. Thanks again for the input with the freezing issue.

Latest posts

Back