Three tier system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscbert

Reaction score
I have noticed by looking at pictures of peoples brew rigs that they have three tier shelving structures. My guess would be that the burner on the top shelf is for heating water. The water is then transferred to the second shelf for mashing. The wort is then transferred to bottom shelf for boiling.
Correct? So why do some people have their mash tun coolers on the top shelf? How would that be useful?

i think some people have coolers as hlt's, either electric elements in them to heat their strike/sparge water, or use the cooler to keep heated water hot?

I dont know if i've ever seen someone with the cooler on top, The only thing i could imagine that being used for is if the water was heated on the stove or something and then transfered to the cooler for retaining the heat in your sparge water?

Thats my best guess

These guys are right. Usually, if you can't afford an extra burner, you heat up the water in your BK then add it to the HLT cooler on top. The cooler keeps it hot enough to sparge with.

Back