American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this a second time, but went with a tad lower IBU (62) and OG (1.054) to make it a bit more "sessionable" (it will be served at my National Holiday party). Let's see!

Sooo, results:
-I ended up replacing all late hop additions (2.5oz) with a 170F steep... Wow that Peach/Mango/Passion fruit aroma!
-The beer does not taste like its 60 IBU... I wish it would be a bit more bitter

Recipe:
-9.5 lb 2 row
-1.25lb Munich
-8.0oz Melanoiden
-4.0oz Crystal 60
-4.0oz Crystal 120
-8.0oz Cara-pils
-1.0oz Citra FWA
-0.5oz Citra Boil 15
-2.5oz Citra Steep 170F
-3.0oz Citra Dryhop 7days

Ready to keg this tomorrow. Its not looking that clear to be honest and been cold crashing for a few days.
What would you guys recommend for perfect carbing.
Oressures, temps days etc.
Thx

So I made a 2.5 gallon batch this weekend. I took my OG and it showed 1.050. Not the 1.065 the recipe shows. I am certain everything went perfectly. 6 totals pounds grain with a 2.5 gallon mash at 152. Pre-boil was around 4 gals. OG was taken at 70F. Any thoughts? I thought I nailed the process overall to be honest.

So I made a 2.5 gallon batch this weekend. I took my OG and it showed 1.050. Not the 1.065 the recipe shows. I am certain everything went perfectly. 6 totals pounds grain with a 2.5 gallon mash at 152. Pre-boil was around 4 gals. OG was taken at 70F. Any thoughts? I thought I nailed the process overall to be honest.

I took 2nd last year at NHC with a session version of this beer and it had an OG of 1.050. it'll be good still. :D

Have brewed versions of this over the last year... the last incarnation is 3 weeks in primary and now 3 days in keg/force carbed. Dry hop was 5 days in the primary. It is just, simply, stupid-good:

6.5 gallons - adjust accordingly.

Zombie dust

Style: American IPA

Type: Calories: 215

Rating: 0.0 Boil Size: 7.39 Gal

IBU's: 64.70 Batch Size: 6.50 Gal

Color: 8.7 SRM Boil Time: 60 minutes

Preboil OG: 1.063

Estimated Actual

Brew Date: - 03/09/2013

OG: 1.066 1.066

FG: 1.016 1.016

ABV: 6.55 % 6.55 %

Efficiency: 78 % 78 %

Serve Date: 03/09/2013 / /

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage
Name Time Gravity
12.00 lbs 74.13 % Rahr 2-Row Brewers Malt 60 mins 1.037
2.00 lbs 12.36 % Munich Malt 60 mins 1.037
0.50 lbs 3.09 % Fawcett Crystal Malt - 60L 60 mins 1.034
0.50 lbs 3.09 % Aromatic Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 3.09 % Carapils 60 mins 1.033
0.50 lbs 3.09 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
3.00 ozs 1.16 % Acid Malt 60 mins 1.027

Hops
Amount IBU's
Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 19.59 Magnum First Wort 11.00
1.25 ozs 19.44 Citra 15 mins 13.20
1.25 ozs 14.21 Citra 10 mins 13.20
1.25 ozs 7.81 Citra 5 mins 13.20
1.25 ozs 1.69 Citra 1 mins 13.20
3.00 ozs Citra 5 days 13.20

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale White Labs 0007

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
5.00 g Gypsum 15 mins Mash
1.50 g Calcium Chloride 15 mins Mash
1.00 oz Irish Moss 15 mins Boil
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 154.0°F
Add 20.23 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 166.0°F

Carbonation
(none)

Notes
Three gallons RO water, two gallons tap water. Same ratio of water and minerals in sparge.

Braufessor, what was your water profile on this? I know you mentioned the additions but since it's not 100% RO I can't determine your ratio.

Braufessor, what was your water profile on this? I know you mentioned the additions but since it's not 100% RO I can't determine your ratio.

Hmmmmm..... not exactly positive as that is an old recipe.....but, I know it would have been in the ballpark of 150-200 on sulfate and around 50 on chloride. 100(ish) on Calcium. 5.3 pH - I would use 100% RO and shoot for numbers around that range if I was doing it.

Hmmmmm..... not exactly positive as that is an old recipe.....but, I know it would have been in the ballpark of 150-200 on sulfate and around 50 on chloride. 100(ish) on Calcium. 5.3 pH - I would use 100% RO and shoot for numbers around that range if I was doing it.

ah...thanks for the info. I brewed yesterday so I ended up doing a 2-1 Chloride to Sulfate with 100 calcium as I liked that ratio in some of the NEIPAs I've been doing lately. I needed a straight IPA for a comp so decided on a variant of this recipe. We'll see how this works!

I brewed this today using the post #1 recipe! I ended up miscalculating the mash temp (maybe I stirred too much at dough in?)and ended up mashing at about 148-150.

Everything else went great though. My OG was about 1.055 which I was expecting based on my usual efficiency. I don't mind a lower abv beer, I just hope it is not to dry as a result of the low mash temp. All that being said, I am pretty stoked. I have enough citra left to brew this again and tweak. Haven't had Zombie Dust in a few years but It was delicious when I did have it so hopefully this is in the ball park.

I don't mind a lower abv beer, I just hope it is not to dry as a result of the low mash temp.

Which yeast did you go with? With 1968, I think that mash temp is about perfect. I did 152 on my last batch with 1968 and would prefer it just a bit drier. Even with S-04 I think there's enough specialty malt in the recipe to keep it from drying out too much at that temp.

Which yeast did you go with?
Thanks for the response. I went with a couple of S-04 packs. Just sprinkled. Pitched at 67 and will be fermenting at around 64. I hope I have the same experience as you.
On a separate note, what is everyone doing in terms of dry hopping? I have combed through the thread and seen people doing it for 10 days, others saying anything more than 7 is too much. Has anybody tweaked this aspect across different bashes and come up with a preference? Thanks in advance.

Smells delicious!

20170906_202217.jpg

I hit 1.010 on my fg and it tasted great. Added my dry hops a couple of days ago. Quick question, do you guys use gelatin on this one or is it better to let it be?

Brewed this 5 days ago, using Braufessor's recipe, got a little better efficiency than I expected and ended with 1.078 OG, pitched a healthy starter of 007, cant wait to try this one as Ive never had the actual thing.

Any hints as to the water profile that would work for this bad boy?
I was thinking of:
Calcium: 120.00 ppm
Sulfate: 300.00 ppm
Magnesium: 18.00 ppm
Chloride: 55.00 ppm
Sodium: 25.00 ppm
Bicarbonate: 110.00 ppm

Any hints as to the water profile that would work for this bad boy?
I was thinking of:
Calcium: 120.00 ppm
Sulfate: 300.00 ppm
Magnesium: 18.00 ppm
Chloride: 55.00 ppm
Sodium: 25.00 ppm
Bicarbonate: 110.00 ppm

I can post my Bru'n water sheet when I get home from work today. Cant remember off the top of my head.

Dry hopped mine last night, had like 4.2oz of citra left in my bag so used it all. Checked FG as well, was 1.020 with an expected of 1.019. So pretty good there. Hydro sample smelled great and was the clearest of any beer ive made so far.
OG 1.078
FG 1.020
ABV 7.61% calc by brewers friend

Last edited:
Just kegged mine, smelled like straight apricots and peaches. For those that have had the pleasure, what is the aroma of the actual thing like?

Tarpon, could you post the Bru'n Water profile you used for this? I've just made this recipe, and while it turned out pretty great, I'm interested to see how others treated their water and what their results were.

Tarpon, could you post the Bru'n Water profile you used for this? I've just made this recipe, and while it turned out pretty great, I'm interested to see how others treated their water and what their results were.

Yes, Im sorry I know I said I would and then I completely forgot. I will do it later today.

I guess I didn't save my bru'n water sheet, but I added the additions to beer smith so I can give you what I added based off what I had in bru'n water.

8.6 gal of RO water

9.6g gypsum
2g calcium chloride
1.6g Epsom salt
.8g pickling lime

I guess I didn't save my bru'n water sheet, but I added the additions to beer smith so I can give you what I added based off what I had in bru'n water.

8.6 gal of RO water

9.6g gypsum
2g calcium chloride
1.6g Epsom salt
.8g pickling lime

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate it!

Never had this beer from FFF, but is it crystal clear from them? If so, what day have you been adding DH?. Been brewing tons of NEIPAs, so I am thinking day 4 or a point or two above FG to avoid isomerization.

Never had this beer from FFF, but is it crystal clear from them? If so, what day have you been adding DH?. Been brewing tons of NEIPAs, so I am thinking day 4 or a point or two above FG to avoid isomerization.

ZD pours from a keg are clear. Bottles of ZD tend to have some slight sediment in the bottle (not bottle conditioned). If you pour the bottle and leave the sediment you will have a clear beer. If you swirl in that sediment, it will be slightly cloudy. Not near as cloudy as most NEIPAs, but not as clear as most other commercial beers. This sediment also impacts the hop flavor in the beer.

Just kicked my keg, went way too fast. Didnt keep track of how much my buddies drank. This definately hit its stride in the last week or so, dropped pretty clear as well. Will for sure make this again.

this is the best IPA i've brewed, thanks a lot Skeezer, brewing this one again next brew.

Thanks for everyone that has contributed to this thread, this was my first ever brew and I tried my hand at all grain. (Been reading threads and studying for 2 months waiting for all my supplies to arrive)

Here is my question, I have seen some post with people using 1 1/2 - 2 packs of s-04, I pitched with one and after 36 hours it seems that fermentation has slowed down a lot. I only used one pack, should I add a half a pack today?

5.5gl wort in fermentor
OG was 1.058

edit: ferment room ambient temp 65 F

Thanks for everyone that has contributed to this thread, this was my first ever brew and I tried my hand at all grain. (Been reading threads and studying for 2 months waiting for all my supplies to arrive)

Here is my question, I have seen some post with people using 1 1/2 - 2 packs of s-04, I pitched with one and after 36 hours it seems that fermentation has slowed down a lot. I only used one pack, should I add a half a pack today?

5.5gl wort in fermentor
OG was 1.058

edit: ferment room ambient temp 65 F

What is your gravity? S-04 can work quickly, but hard to really tell by watching airlock activity alone.

I will have to say, I have made this 2 times and was very consistent with results. Out of the 5 different beer varieties that I have done this was the easiest. And had good compliments from several people. Couple people have said they like mine better. (Head Swelling) LOL

A good step by step video is on youtube for Zombie dust. Look up beerandbbq by Larry. Helped me a lot

Back