Threaded Whirlpool tube for that thermometer port on your Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a month ago or so there was a thread about not being able to use that welded thermometer, 1/2 or full coupling port on your boil kettle to attach a whirlpool tube INSIDE the kettle.

WELL... I got to work. I ordered some 5/8" tubing, a special (to us) bender and just had a go at it. Here it is.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Whirlpool-Recirculation-Tube-NPT-Threaded.html

I think I am going to build these with the hex tube close nipples, I just didn't have any on hand. Whatcha' think?

Cheers
Jay

I have such a kettle with a 1/2" half-coupler thermometer port. It's half-way up the 8 gallon kettle, which I use most often.

Since whirlpooling is all the fashion now, I screwed a 1/2" close nipple into it attached to a 3-piece ball valve. I've been trying to get a recirculation going that way, but the flow is slow with the March pump, almost as if there's too much back pressure.

If I were to use your whirlpool tube it will redirect the flow along the side which definitely is needed, and since it's bit narrower, creates more speed and less back pressure. It looks like a big step forward!

2 questions:
  • Shouldn't the tube follow the circumference of the kettle more closely instead of the flow being diffused while it's hitting the side, as it does now?
  • Should the tube be shaped into a nozzle, tapered toward the end to increase wort velocity? From what I understand it's the exit velocity of the wort that creates the whirlpool, not so much the volume it pushes. Like in E=mv2?

I have such a kettle with a 1/2" half-coupler thermometer port. It's half-way up the 8 gallon kettle, which I use most often.

Since whirlpooling is all the fashion now, I screwed a 1/2" close nipple into it attached to a 3-piece ball valve. I've been trying to get a recirculation going that way, but the flow is slow with the March pump, almost as if there's too much back pressure.

If I were to use your whirlpool tube it will redirect the flow along the side which definitely is needed, and since it's bit narrower, creates more speed and less back pressure. It looks like a big step forward!

2 questions:
  • Shouldn't the tube follow the circumference of the kettle more closely instead of the flow being diffused while it's hitting the side, as it does now?
  • Should the tube be shaped into a nozzle, tapered toward the end to increase wort velocity? From what I understand it's the exit velocity of the wort that creates the whirlpool, not so much the volume it pushes. Like in E=mv2?

Great questions.

The tube does have about 3" or so before it actually comes in contact with the kettle. It kind of does look like its pointing right at the side wall in the angle of the pictures but it has a fairly good push and angle for the few kettles we tested it in.
As for the nozzle shape. I did shape it down as much as we could and still get it in the coupling and it didn't make a difference so instead of adding labor cost to it we just left it as is. I am looking for an extruder to really neck it down but its going to have to be really worth while and with the tests we did, I am not so sure it would be much benefit, but we will see. I was really impressed on how well it works....Its not an ultimate whirlpool paddle but it does work good.

We are trying to get some video footage processed but Victor has been really ill the last few days. I'll get some up soon.

Cheers
Jay

I like it. I would be interested in the video as well. In your tests, were you just using a standard march / chugger pump? I tried getting a whirlpool going with some silicone tubing and my chugger, but it didnt do anything really. lol

Holy crap, I've been looking for exactly this for a long time. When my kettle was made they welded in a half port instead of a full one and I didn't want to return it and wait for a replacement. Ordered.

Holy crap, I've been looking for exactly this for a long time. When my kettle was made they welded in a half port instead of a full one and I didn't want to return it and wait for a replacement. Ordered.

you got it! Heck you being in Lancaster you should just come get it..LOL

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay,

Do you know of anywhere they may fabricate this since it is no longer available for order?

Thanks
Eric

Hi Jay,

Do you know of anywhere they may fabricate this since it is no longer available for order?

Thanks
Eric

Eric
Not that I am aware of. I had to pull it because of the bender I was using to bend that part was not able to do it 100% of the time accurately and consistently. It bent about 30-50 of them and then it started tweaking. I know we sold out of all the ones we built. Sorry about that man!

Cheers
Jay

Ok no problem. Thanks for letting me know. If ever you come across one that you may have misplaced somewhere please let me know.

Back