Thoughts on sour beer final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
In March, I checked the gravity on my barrel-aged sour red - this was about 1/3 18-month old beer, and 2/3 younger beer at about 9 months old - gravity was at 1.010 - was thinking about packaging before that hydrometer sample, but decided it probably needed more time. Last night (2 months later), I took another draw - 1.010. Huh - seems like it's finished, but the FG seemed high to me. My sours and Brett beers usually get down around 1.005 or lower, so I was a bit surprised. When I read others recipes, I never pay attention to FG estimates - too much variability to rely on that number as gospel. But I just checked American Sours, and many of his darker sours ended around 1.010 - give or take - much higher than I expected to see.

Since I don't have new beer ready to go into the barrel, it's still going to be a while before I package, but when I do, I expect it will still be at 1.010 - at least it had better be!

Just thought I would share my experience.

Back