Thoughts on cost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not an expert, but one thing I remember my brother in law saying....
( he died from leukemia a long time ago) "if you see something you want, go ahead and buy it, then work like hell to pay for it and if that makes you happy, your doing OK."
I have lots of brewing equipment, its a hobby I enjoy, I don't mind spending money on it.

Looks pretty slick. Not too shabby for 540 bucks either.

As a side note... Also diggin the King Stahlman bail bonds poster! Ha!
As another side note... Noticed your profile picture. 60 pilot?

Pretty damn good if you ask me. Since you spent so little, you should have plenty left over to add electronic controls :ban:

No not a pilot, I keep them flying from the maintenance perspective! I have found a guy who has a chugger pump with numerous silicone lines and a hop spider.. $150 he wants, that should complete my system!

Lookin good, really.

FWIW a 20 gallon stainless concord pot, a BIAB bag and a pulley system and a burner would likely be 1/2 of $540

Just my biased input :)
Cheers

"Thoughts on Cost", that is the title of the thread.

For what you have it is pretty good.

But .. taking the other position; $540 (+$150) for the other additions (= $700), makes the beer you are going to produce expensive.

I know it is a hobby, and a number of folks say cost is not important and compare it to golf or the like. Most of them are the people with expensive rigs wanting to rationalize having spent a lot of money on gear.

A number of people like me view the hobby as a challenge to produce beer, both, better and cheaper than you would pay in the shop.

You can buy a lot of beer for $700. You brew 700 beers (~14 x 5 gallon batches), and it adds $1 to every bottle. You brew 7,000 beer (140 x 5 gallon batches, or about 4 years of legal maximum brewing) it adds 10 cents to every beer. This is a long-term commitment.

If it takes your beers to the next level and you stay committed to brewing for many years, it is worth it.

Looks great! The promise of good beer...

Maybe put a heat shield (aluminum flashing, or so) between HLT burner and mash tun. Perhaps same between BK and mash tun too.

Back