Thoughts on all in one systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcmb

Novice Brewer.....Thanks to Covid
Reaction score
What are you all's thoughts on the All in one system. I'm currently using a a 5 gallon mash ton, 5 gallon water tank and 8 gallon pot. I'm thinking it would make a little less cleanup and maybe save some time? Thoughts?

This is a grain of salt, 2 cent comment but as long as you understand their limitations I’ve noticed people generally have a positive impression of them. If you typically enjoy large grain bill brews then it may not be the way to go.

if your goals are less cleanup and less time, I don't think the all in one systems are necessarily the only way you can achieve this. BIAB with your 8gallon pot over a heat source would be simple too. All you need is a bag. For what its worth, I have the anvil foundry and its great. But my personal goal isn't to decrease time and cleaning is no big deal to me as I clean as I go and generally just have fun on brew days.

if your goals are less cleanup and less time, I don't think the all in one systems are necessarily the only way you can achieve this. BIAB with your 8gallon pot over a heat source would be simple too. All you need is a bag. For what its worth, I have the anvil foundry and its great. But my personal goal isn't to decrease time and cleaning is no big deal to me as I clean as I go and generally just have fun on brew days.
I do enjoy the brew day but in the Louisiana Heat I'm always looking for less time in the 100 degree heat

I love my Brewzilla 65L even with its limitations. Cleanup did take a bit longer because i had to wait for the wort to boil and cool and put into the fermenter Before running PBW through the whole thing but overall the brew day was very easy!

Also, not having to lug around hot water and wort to the burner/stovetop made it that much better!

I do enjoy the brew day but in the Louisiana Heat I'm always looking for less time in the 100 degree heat

If that's a primary motivation, then an electric system is going to put you indoors where it's cooler! So, there's that. It can be fun to brew outdoors with flames and steam, but brewing inside can't be beat for year-round convenience and comfort. And that's one thing the small footprint systems allow, all other factors set aside.

I moved to one for mainly the time savings and ability not be there 100% of the time. The ability to dial in a temp for mash and come back to it without messing with burners is a blessing. Have to watch the boil for obvious reasons of safety and hop additions. It is also helpful to defer cleanup if needed and have something ready to heat/circulate hot PBW solution if it has been a bit of time between brew and clean. Has also simplified my approach a bit which has been another side effect of not having so much equipment.

If that's a primary motivation, then an electric system is going to put you indoors where it's cooler! So, there's that. It can be fun to brew outdoors with flames and steam, but brewing inside can't be beat for year-round convenience and comfort. And that's one thing the small footprint systems allow, all other factors set aside.
It can also lead to martial strife and divorce unless you significant other loves beer as much as you do. My wife is a super taster and cannot stand the smell of brewing and she has imparted that wisdom to all of our children and grandchildren. I'm relegated to the back screen porch at all times of year, and in New England, that can sometimes be challenging at one or more steps in the process. I'm thinking of an all in one primarily for one reason - containment!

It can also lead to martial strife and divorce unless you significant other loves beer as much as you do. My wife is a super taster and cannot stand the smell of brewing and she has imparted that wisdom to all of our children and grandchildren. I'm relegated to the back screen porch at all times of year, and in New England, that can sometimes be challenging at one or more steps in the process. I'm thinking of an all in one primarily for one reason - containment!

Good to have another New Englander here! Since going electric im "banished" To my insulated garage...jokes on her though...its nicer to brew in there then the kitchen!

I bought the mash and boil no pump version for it's simplicity and it was the best brewing decision I've ever made. I love it and can't imagine ever brewing in anything but an all in one system.

As was said earlier, there is a learning curve to any new system, and the all in ones do have some limitations depending on the setup you get, but give it time and once you get your system dialed in you'll wish you had made the switch years ago.

My robobrew still comes out when I’m doing a small 5 gallon batch. Other than longer time to boil, which I fixed with a hot rod element, I love it

I have a Robobrew 35L and have been using it about 3 yers now. I find it does come to temperature a bit slower than using a propane burner. The advantage of the all in one system as I see it is that it stores in a smaller place, I can use it indoors year round and it works well for the beer I make whichnis always a 5 gallon batch.

Take care, Bluefin.

Ditto that there's little gain in clean-up time to be had. I've never brewed in anything other than grainfather but that said, you have just as much sticky &grainy stainless to clean as the mash pipe & filter plates are essentially the second vessel, and all the other bits are fiddlier. And the boil and cooling waits are a good time to smash out a lot of the cleaning anyway. BUT the other reasons: less shelf space, electric brewing, in-built automation & bluetooth to recipe-sharing apps that step you through your brew day (mostly flawless and a great help) are why I'd buy it again.

Back