This site is triggering my antivirus as a threat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this...I could not find a section for forum and site comments but my avast antivirus was continuously picking up a threat detection related to skimresources whenever refreshing of navigating this page... I do use a script blocker adon in firefox which blocks much of the spyware normally found including the skimresources so I am not sure why this was happening.
just wondering if anyone else has seen this? it stopped after coming up a half dozen times...

and yes I still see most of the ads and allow scripts to run to be able to use many of the features of this site but as a rule I normally use the blocker for all of my web use.

Not sure where to post this...I could not find a section for forum and site comments but my avast antivirus is not continuously picking up a thread detection whenever refreshing of navigating this page...

continuous thread detection is not offered by Avast Antivirus.

Did you try turning it off and on again?
It stopped on its own... its just odd since it was one of the 15 ad/spy sites the script blocker is blocking right now according to the banner at the bottom that shows me what scripts this site is trying to run... I wonder how many there would be if I did block the ads?

haha, even a picture of a pellicle makes my antivirus throw fits

This site is very dangerous - it makes you spend an amazing amount of time and money in pursuit of the perfect beer.
tell me about it... and ebay, google and facebook run scripts here which spam the hell out of me with targeted ads trying to "help" me spend that money...

I set avast to pop a lil window in to warn me if something's up. I don't care for too much automation. I guess that comes from being a UAW guy all these years?...

10 to 1 it's the 3rd party ads that were setting of your AV. Drive by malware downloads via site ads are a very popular way of infecting systems. Many AV programs don't detect the newer viruses for 2-4 weeks so I'd suggest looking into an ad blocker like Ad Block Plus or Disconnect. FYI - I'm an Information Security professional and had to deal with many an outbreak due to site ads...

Like the google galaxy download where this lil window pops in every time I try to use google maps. Still waiting on startup repair while my windows 7 disc gets shipped...

That old cliche about lazy autoworkers is a myth. I had to work my butt off for near 31 years. Moreso nowadays, as they didn't replace retirees as much as in the past. Fewer folks doing more work...& faster!

I have never found an antivirus program that didn't cause a host of problems......... I run Linux with no after market AV software, and a script blocker on Firefox.

I am forced to run Windows on one computer due to special application software. After fighting with AV software off and on for years, I now run ONLY Microsoft Security Essentials for Window. It does not create the bottle necks and instabilities of other AV software...... AND it's free. Dump Avast, Norton, Sam, etc......... They are all a pain in the butt.

H.W.

That old cliche about lazy autoworkers is a myth. I had to work my butt off for near 31 years. Moreso nowadays, as they didn't replace retirees as much as in the past. Fewer folks doing more work...& faster!

soapbox time :)

Ive heard this... but my autoworker friends still brag about taking 15 minute breaks every 30 minutes...

I used to maintain equipment at the local gm plant until the company I work for started leasing toyotas for us to drive and the GM security gard ignored me and wouldnt let me past the security gate and wouldnt offer any explanation except when I pressed him and he just said "I cant let you on the property with that non union Piece of ****"... I explained I work for an international company and its a company car but he didnt care... also explained that it was made in Illinois but he didnt care... than I told him I have a dodge truck and a corvette at home but the doge was made in mexico... he said they dont care were it made as long as its union made so I could go home and come back with either.... I'm sorry but that right there is childish hypocritical nonsense... They would rather force GM to pay for someone else to drive in from out of state to repair thier down equipment and stay down until that happens because of what? they only hurt themselves...

Nevermind the toyota camry was brought to the states and even made in partnership with GM for a while... and the fact the General motors actually sells gm cars rebranded as toyotas over in japan like the "Toyota Cavalier "

I still go to the ford plant a couple times a year.... at least they have a visitor lot for non ford family vehicles...

BTW two of my hunting buddies worked at gm and they told me a story about how they had (at the time) recently cut up some giant chemical tanks inside the plant that hadnt been used for years. Inside they found recliners and couches and a regular hidden breakroom... they have no problem getting stuff INTO the plant I guess.

I have another friend who is a uaw plant electrician and tells me about chicken wing bones he has pulled out of machinery and how they caught a guy pissing all over the control panel of a machine trying to break it because they wouldnt let the guy go home... and they couldnt do anything to punish the guy because it takes more effort than its worth....

my dad was a teamsters union rep for years BTW until the union used him as a bargaining chip they voided his and all his coworkers contracts and closed his plant rather than bring the place up to code for osha.

soapbox time :)

Ive heard this... but my autoworker friends still brag about taking 15 minute breaks every 30 minutes...

I used to maintain equipment at the local gm plant until the company I work for started leasing toyotas for us to drive and the GM security gard ignored me and wouldnt let me past the security gate and wouldnt offer any explanation except when I pressed him and he just said "I cant let you on the property with that non union Piece of ****"... I explained I work for an international company and its a company car but he didnt care... also explained that it was made in Illinois but he didnt care... than I told him I have a dodge truck and a corvette at home but the doge was made in mexico... he said they dont care were it made as long as its union made so I could go home and come back with either.... I'm sorry but that right there is childish hypocritical nonsense... They would rather force GM to pay for someone else to drive in from out of state to repair thier down equipment and stay down until that happens because of what? they only hurt themselves...

Nevermind the toyota camry was brought to the states and even made in partnership with GM for a while... and the fact the General motors actually sells gm cars rebranded as toyotas over in japan like the "Toyota Cavalier "

I still go to the ford plant a couple times a year.... at least they have a visitor lot for non ford family vehicles...

BTW two of my hunting buddies worked at gm and they told me a story about how they had (at the time) recently cut up some giant chemical tanks inside the plant that hadnt been used for years. Inside they found recliners and couches and a regular hidden breakroom... they have no problem getting stuff INTO the plant I guess.

I have another friend who is a uaw plant electrician and tells me about chicken wing bones he has pulled out of machinery and how they caught a guy pissing all over the control panel of a machine trying to break it because they wouldnt let the guy go home... and they couldnt do anything to punish the guy because it takes more effort than its worth....

my dad was a teamsters union rep for years BTW until the union used him as a bargaining chip they voided his and all his coworkers contracts and closed his plant rather than bring the place up to code for osha.

Whew, boy, where do I start with the lazy boot lickers? I have to admit there are the boot lickers that are pretty girls, or 350lb mooses that walked around looking busy. I can't say it didn't happen, just not very often. just with off-line jobs like repair bays & sub-assembly. And those 15 minute breaks every half hour or so...pee breaks dontcha know. Lazy back-stabbin' a-holes ain't worth the bullet it'd take to blow their worthless brains out. I can hardly walk now because I was forced to carry lazy pricks like that for too many years!
And as for the car, they do that with "foreign" cars, no matter union or no. Trust me. They did that to me & my German Capri GT at the friggin' union hall! They were just mad at us from other locations excersizing our rights to move to a plant where our seniority was working & they needed people. And those hidden areas are gone in the Cleveland complex...some even got fired. We of local 1250 UAW were old-school hard liners with some hings. It always really friggin' buggs the snot outta me when he said they said she said he said. Funk that! I was there, & some of those lazy bones aren't anymore. Takes awhile, but they can be gotten rid of. I got a big friggin' axe to grind with'em foir the way I am now, thanks to them!!!!! So I was a forman & my buddy was the vice & then president of the local union. Or, to put it this way...

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew, boy, where do I start with the lazy boot lickers? I have to admit there are the boot lickers that are pretty girls, or 350lb mooses that walked around looking busy. I can't say it didn't happen, just not very often. just with off-line jobs like repair bays & sub-assembly. And those 15 minute breaks every half hour or so...pee breaks dontcha know. Lazy back-stabbin' a-holes ain't worth the bullet it'd take to blow their worthless brains out. I can hardly walk now because I was forced to carry lazy pricks like that for too many years!
And as for the car, they do that with "foreign" cars, no matter union or no. Trust me. They did that to me & my German Capri GT at the friggin' union hall! They were just mad at us from other locations excersizing our rights to move to a plant where our seniority was working & they needed people. And those hidden areas are gone in the Cleveland complex...some even got fired. We of local 1250 UAW were old-school hard liners with some hings. It always really friggin' buggs the snot outta me when he said they said she said he said. Funk that! I was there, & some of those lazy bones aren't anymore. Takes awhile, but they can be gotten rid of. I got a big friggin' axe to grind with'em foir the way I am now, thanks to them!!!!! So I was a forman & my buddy was the vice & then president of the local union.

the thing is general motors makes more foriegn cars outside the states than they do in the states! ...its ok for a gm employee to buy a korean made deawoo rebranded as a chevy spark or aveo to work at gm but if you drive an American made car like a honda (98% of all honda cars sold in the us are made here)or toyota your not allowed? They are becoming a foreign car company owned by mostly Americans?

a friend of mine told me a story from when she worked at gm about the ugly toyota corollas in the early 80s being made in the same factory as the chevy nova at the time... the toyotas where flying off the lots and the chevys werent selling very well because chevy had a poor rap at the time and the pricing favored the toyota...
well toyota actually bought some of the chevy novas and ripped the nova interior out and converted them to corollas to keep up with sales.... yet you cant even drive one on the property today.

My dad was very pro union... he was a foreman for a while and the union Stewart for years... he worked with over a hundred hazardous chemicals and the company was pulling some shady practices and a lot of guys were getting sick so someone called in osha when pigeons started dropping dead out of the terminal bay rafters from exposure... turn out they had been pulling some shady stuff and rather than do the right thing the national outfit decided to make it look as if they suddenly werent making money at that location and closed the terminal. The union didnt do anything to help. My dad had copies of all the books to show they had been making just as much money as well as proof they were falsely marking the manifests for tank trucks labeling them as different chemicals and in some cases they were pouring different chemicals ontop of others to attempt to mask them because of the additional expense to safelty clean and dispose of the waste.. but the union flat out told him there dozen employees or so weren't worth the effort and they were able to negotiate a better deal for people elsewhere because of it...
it all boils down to money and politics...
my dad suffered a number of health problems from work including eventually being told he could not pass the physical due to his lungs turning to scar tissue an was then made a foreman. It was then when he started to make waves trying to protect the same thing from happening to the new guys that they closed. He just passed away at 63 a couple months ago... if the unions job isnt to protect the working man against this kind of **** then what good are they?

wow did this thread go off topic.... sorry guys.

tell me about it... and ebay, google and facebook run scripts here which spam the hell out of me with targeted ads trying to "help" me spend that money...

You do realize that those arent google, ebay, and facebook "running" those scripts on this site right? Its the site trying to make money.. which is fine, but i turned on my ad blocker and script blocker when they started playing videos automatically.... too much greed will backfire i guess. lol

10 to 1 it's the 3rd party ads that were setting of your AV. Drive by malware downloads via site ads are a very popular way of infecting systems. Many AV programs don't detect the newer viruses for 2-4 weeks so I'd suggest looking into an ad blocker like Ad Block Plus or Disconnect. FYI - I'm an Information Security professional and had to deal with many an outbreak due to site ads...

i know at least for chrome (not sure on FF), you can get extensions for adblock plus, and ghostery (which is AWESOME!!!!!!) Ghostery blocks all the trackers, widgets, ad engines, and analytics that you dont want. :ban:

You do realize that those arent google, ebay, and facebook "running" those scripts on this site right? Its the site trying to make money.. which is fine, but i turned on my ad blocker and script blocker when they started playing videos automatically.... too much greed will backfire i guess. lol

i know at least for chrome (not sure on FF), you can get extensions for adblock plus, and ghostery (which is AWESOME!!!!!!) Ghostery blocks all the trackers, widgets, ad engines, and analytics that you dont want. :ban:

the script blocker I use blocks all of this as well but to be able to check on who quoted me and such you have to allow some of this crap at least temporarily... ads are one thing if they are just ads..I get it... not enough paying members I guess and I shouldnt complain since I'm not one of them. Its the other spyware that to me has gone too far.

Back