This site is dumb..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, during the time period of the presentation, one could purchase 'Microsoft Word' as a stand alone product or as a 'bundle' (Word, Outlook, Excel, but no PowerPoint). And Microsoft Word can be used to make presentation slides that, for most people, are "good enough".

Reply "withdrawn" as 1) OP edited original post, topic, 2) the topic was moved to "Drunken Ramblings & Mindless Mumbling", and 3) my reply was not appropriate for the mindset of the new forum.

Last edited:
FWIW, the audio presentation has additional useful information. For those looking to minimize hop trub, filtering it before moving the wort into the kettle apperas to be an alternative.

Reply "withdrawn" as 1) OP edited original post, topic, 2) the topic was moved to "Drunken Ramblings & Mindless Mumbling", and 3) my reply was not appropriate for the mindset of the new forum.

Last edited:
Since the OP deleted and edited the original post and title, this thread seems kinda weird.
Please Delete.
877FDE39-7FD4-4DB8-9002-D66903E9ACB4.jpeg

IIRC, during the time period of the presentation, one could purchase 'Microsoft Word' as a stand alone product or as a 'bundle' (Word, Outlook, Excel, but no PowerPoint). And Microsoft Word can be used to make presentation slides that, for most people, are "good enough".

FWIW, the audio presentation has additional useful information. For those looking to minimize hop trub, filtering it before moving the wort into the kettle apperas to be an alternative.

The original thread certainly could have practical applications in certain styles, but not all as the original title suggested. (Please stop boiling your hops).

Jinx!! I was just about to search for this page for a couple reasons,
1/ I do feel a bit bad about it, but not that much since it read like one of those 'just brewed a beer or 2 but since I'm 17 and the smartest person on earth I can reinvent the process all by myself and graciously share it with the peons" and his reaction to the heckling just kinda backed up that idea,
2/ In the A Box for your stuff? thread, @bracconiere tempted me to go off topic and I kinda wanted to because I too, look at all the details in pics posted anywhere just out of curiousity,
3/ In the Miscellaneous Equipment / Supplies - VANCOUVER, CANADA thread, we'd hijacked it because of the Russian FB stuff and had some fun, (which the mods graciously deleted without banning me, Thank You!) and the OP came back and was chill about the fun, like most reasonable adults.
4/ It occurred to me that folk like bracc and I with that kind of sense of humour could use a thread like this as a wrecking yard, to avoid OT'ing and polluting other innocent threads,
Plus: Threads like the 'ismellwierd', the pressure-treated deck-leftovers - would-be-Cooper, and the drywall and no hops dude threads all seem to be locked up.

PS: @BrewnWKopperKat Seriously, Thank You for presenting that concept as an option. On your suggestion, I am making sure to keep that option available in my next phase brew rig... I've hung on to that pdf. Sorry for annoying you.

Jinx!! I was just about to search for this page for a couple reasons,
1/ I do feel a bit bad about it, but not that much since it read like one of those 'just brewed a beer or 2 but since I'm 17 and the smartest person on earth I can reinvent the process all by myself and graciously share it with the peons" and his reaction to the heckling just kinda backed up that idea,
2/ In the A Box for your stuff? thread, @bracconiere tempted me to go off topic and I kinda wanted to because I too, look at all the details in pics posted anywhere just out of curiousity,
3/ In the Miscellaneous Equipment / Supplies - VANCOUVER, CANADA thread, we'd hijacked it because of the Russian FB stuff and had some fun, (which the mods graciously deleted without banning me, Thank You!) and the OP came back and was chill about the fun, like most reasonable adults.
4/ It occurred to me that folk like bracc and I with that kind of sense of humour could use a thread like this as a wrecking yard, to avoid OT'ing and polluting other innocent threads,
Plus: Threads like the 'ismellwierd', the pressure-treated deck-leftovers - would-be-Cooper, and the drywall and no hops dude threads all seem to be locked up.

PS: @BrewnWKopperKat Seriously, Thank You for presenting that concept as an option. On your suggestion, I am making sure to keep that option available in my next phase brew rig... I've hung on to that pdf. Sorry for annoying you.

wait, WTF happened? i had to un-haha the OP?

hmm, not sure how to feel? i guess the majority of us can continue to do our usual 60 min boiling of hops, guilt free?

edit: @Broken Crow as far as a temptation to go off topic...i don't even want to go there with a "Box for your 'stuff'" thread!

i just honest thought that was one of these, and it was cool...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2657746470...OpZZcmZ7M4tzvbX3tbKRWit7M1OcZrpBoCgyUQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Exactly like that! You have to treat your hops like you would a lobster in these more enlightened times, and express regret while boiling it alive.
:p

Exactly like that! You have to treat your hops like you would a lobster in these more enlightened times, and express regret while boiling it alive.
:p

i think we're getting off topic again!

i just need to remember next time i'm trying to kill a cockroach, to drop my 22lb bag of hops on it!

edit: in all honesty, i don't know what the f ever i'm going to do with those 2 bags of hops!!!!

Well... we could crossover 3 different threads by bringing in your mentioning making 'essential oils' in that recent one, and maybe combine it with this thread's notion and rather than boil, go with my inhaling of beer thing, but more accessible say:
You extract essential oils from grains and hops and put it into a vaping fluid and sell it for $30/unit and that'll get rid of the crowd of hipsters who pay that much for a bottle of trendy junk in that other thread.
...just a thought.
:ban:
🚬:mug:
EDIT: Forgot to say: No one drinks liquid any more! That is the old-fasioned way and you need never do it again.
Inhale your beer!!

You extract essential oils from grains and hops and put it into a vaping fluid and sell it for $30/unit and that'll get rid of the crowd of hipsters who pay that

well yooper did want something like that! and if you back 'alcoholize' it with something stronger then ethanol like tert-amyl alcohol? maybe you're onto something?

well yooper did want something like that! and if you back 'alcoholize' it with something stronger then ethanol like tert-amyl alcohol? maybe you're onto something?

I've done something like that using steam extraction. I have to admit, when going out to the craft beer places, I dab a bit of that on my cheeks after shaving.

1658020051286.png
1658020063741.png
1658020058781.png

pretty fancy setup @passedpawn , what is that thing that sorta looks like an addition funnel?

That last picrture? It's a oil separator. You'll see that there is a water release on the right. So, it can only fill up to the level of that release, which then releases water. The floating stuff remains. I suppose it's that's not a good description, but it allows you to remove water while the oil accumulates in that thing.

That last picrture? It's a oil separator. You'll see that there is a water release on the right. So, it can only fill up to the level of that release, which then releases water. The floating stuff remains. I suppose it's that's not a good description, but it allows you to remove water while the oil accumulates in that thing.

chemistry broth seperator/gravy seperator.....it's all clear now.....thanks! but does it have a cool chemistry name? in case i ever need one?

kinda like buchner funnel, or lieberg condenser, or all the other style of condensers?

That's a really sweet setup! Can you make hoppy gin that way and would that even taste good?

Everyone on here thinks they know everything.. I'm done.. Suppose to be for rational conversation but its not.
Well duh. You ask two home brewers how to do something you get three answers. You  tell a home brewer how to do something you immediately get kicked down the pit.

R (1).png

Can you make hoppy gin that way and would that even taste good?

you could use one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3838386264...Gj9pVdjV7DYBPvb9sl8nEWug==|tkp:BlBMULjTzNbBYA
distill 1 gallon from a batch...collect it till it's at about i'd 'guess' 50% ABV...then add it back to another gallon of the same beer....

i'd recomend seperating the 1 gallon to be distilled and boost the ABV with some extra sugar first though...

i've done it, and i think it could be a new DiIPA style really, really hoppy, but the fortified beer addition, kinda gives it a cooked taste...some may like it, i did...

:mug:

The OP set his stall out with the wording of his thread title! He could have gone down the " Is it really necessary to boil hops to make a good beer" and in doing so create a good debate but instead went down the contentious "see me I'm the man and I going to stir things up route" ... then complains about people being know all's 😄
If your intention is to include forum members and engender debate then he set his post up to do the exact opposite in my opinion . I will say there is on any forum a few who do come over as know all's but that is usually just a posting style. For my three pence worth the presentation on how to make beer without boiling your hops could be titled " How to use a shed load of expensive hops to make beer without boiling them and spend a load of money on extra equipment doing it " :thumbsup:

The OP set his stall out with the wording of his thread title! He could have gone down the " Is it really necessary to boil hops to make a good beer" and in doing so create a good debate but instead went down the contentious "see me I'm the man and I going to stir things up route" ... then complains about people being know all's 😄
If your intention is to include forum members and engender debate then he set his post up to do the exact opposite in my opinion . I will say there is on any forum a few who do come over as know all's but that is usually just a posting style. For my three pence worth the presentation on how to make beer without boiling your hops could be titled " How to use a shed load of expensive hops to make beer without boiling them and spend a load of money on extra equipment doing it " :thumbsup:

not a bad post ;) you sound like an expert on whirlpooling! just modify one of these to sit at the bottom, then when you whirl pool....all the hops will collect in it...

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ch...7ot1iraWs3k7UgM13D2BqCDxchCQUhe4aArRnEALw_wcB
(kinda like putting a bull's eye in your brew kettle! it would be fun! :mug:)

Back