Thinking about using pool to chill with a counterflow chiller - any precautions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firenze

Reaction score
Just moved into a place with a pool (chlorine type) and I was thinking of using a pump and using the liquid for chilling purposes to save water. Are there any precautions I need to make when using the pool to chill? Will the chlorine in the water cause any long term damage to the counterflow chiller or the pump? Do I need to rinse with fresh water afterwards?

Excellent idea. Don't have a pool myself, but with the thermal mass one has, and a good pump you could chill without wasting a drop of water. I'm jealous. My hot tub is a bit too hot to pull this one off. Could top it off with the early/hotter water that comes from my chiller though now that I think about it.

There's also the very excellent "floating boil pot / pool noodle / with immersion chiller" method. I don't recommend this for the faint of heart, especially if there's a chance of rain (happened).

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent idea. Don't have a pool myself, but with the thermal mass one has, and a good pump you could chill without wasting a drop of water. I'm jealous. My hot tub is a bit too hot to pull this one off. Could top it off with the early/hotter water that comes from my chiller though now that I think about it.

Hot tub works. Mine overflows into pool. When I had the pool water flowing past the pot, it chilled really fast!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your pool likely has just a little more chlorine than your tap water. Should not be an issue in my mind.

If you use the same chlorine tester for the pool on your tap water, I expect your tap water will have more chlorine! Mine does.

There's also the very excellent "floating boil pot / pool noodle / with immersion chiller" method. I don't recommend this for the faint of heart, especially if there's a chance of rain (happened).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8CAyasNwag

Don't have the balls to do this, also I am doing 10 gal batches so I need a bit more floaties. Fun to see though, thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back