Thinking about selling my Custom Brewtroller HERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackheart

Reaction score
As some of you might know, I love brewing. Unfortunitally I dont have as much time to brew as I would like and brewing on the scale I was previously just isn't working out for me. I have a two car garage/brewery that houses my 10gal HERMS system thats electronically controlled with a brewtroller with all custom wiring and 100% stainless parts and triclover fittings.

I also have a variety of other brewing equipment.

-Two 22galon SS conical fermentors in brand new (2 year old now) standing freezers with a custom wired brewtroller controlling heating and cooling all Tri-clover fittings.

-10x plastic 1/6 sankey kegs and various taps etc.

- Custom built 4 tap kegerator with dual pressure zones and external connections for bottle fillers all with SS parts and Micromatic gauges/regs/sankey taps, on wheels, painted black.

- Custom built grain milling station on wheels, monster mill with 3x rollers, stainless, enclosed motor with built in power cord etc.

- Various bottles, growlers, carboys, hydrometers, refractometers etc.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start a thread to sell my stuff in this forum but instead get some advice as to how I should go about selling my stuff. I am based in "upstate" NY near syracuse/ithaca area and it's safe to assume that I not only need to find the right buyer for my brewing stuff but also I need to have someone who lives in driving distance so they can come pick it up.

My question is should I part out stuff like the converted freezers separate from the fermentors, and the brew kettles/ss parts/motors/valves/etc separate or sell everything as is as a package?

I would estimate I spent around $5,000 on my brew system alone in SS parts, welded steel frame, electronics etc(I still have all the receipts). I realize that I spent hundreds of hours building, testing, and rebuilding the brew system that I will never get back. Hopefully I can find someone who would put this stuff to good use instead of it just taking up space and collecting dust.

Any ideas?

I'd definitely sell stuff like keezers/kegerators/ferm chambers/malt mills/fermentation vessels and the like separately from the brew structure - which I would certainly keep intact! It's likely going to be tough enough to find a buyer for the rig as it is without upping the ante with all of the other stuff. And the other stuff has a good chance selling individually if not tied to a white whale ;)

Cheers - and good luck!

Sorry if that was confusing. I meant separately as in disassembling the brew rig and selling parts vs the complete rig AND/OR selling the fermentors independent of the refrigeration.

Sorry if that was confusing. I meant separately as in disassembling the brew rig and selling parts vs the complete rig AND/OR selling the fermentors independent of the refrigeration.

I got the first part - and as I said I'd keep the rig intact (pumps/valves/controllers/burners connected to stand and controller). You could sell off the pots/kettles/keggles/whatevers, along with everything else, individually/separately, but I sure wouldn't disassemble the rig...

Cheers!

You'll never get your money back and if you decide to pick up brewing again it will cost you a lot more to rebuild. Think carefully before getting rid of it....

You'll never get your money back and if you decide to pick up brewing again it will cost you a lot more to rebuild. Think carefully before getting rid of it....

+100 I am selling our house but my HERMS system is coming w/me..no chance I am selling it, even if I were only brewing once every 3-4 months..I would only rebuild this system again if I was finally jumping in with a Nano and even then I would keep this system as a test rig.

You get the beer bug again and this setup is going to be more $$$ to build back out.

As Monster said..think carefully before selling..

I'm with the last 2 posters who suggest considering this sale very carefully before proceeding. I stopped brewing for an almost 7 year stretch for a number of reasons but I hung on to my equipment and I'm glad I did. Disclaimer: I probably had less than $1,000 invested when I stopped and the equipment I had didn't take up that much room to store.

If you have time, let it sit on craigslist and bookoo, updating the listing every few weeks. Stuff starts getting expensive to ship if you go through the disassembly process. I figure pumps are around $110-115, fittings are about 3/4 value and the weight of the items is $20-40 in shipping alone, but if the system is intact, I, as a buyer would be more likely to jump on it. I just purchased a complete system for a good chunk of change and am working to sell my old equipment. This is a hobby that people get in and out of quite a bit. As far as different components, I would break them down into end items. Kegerator, milling stations, fermentors, and each separately.

Back