Thinking about barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey

Reaction score
I'm thinking about starting to consider that there could be a possibility to ferment with an oak barrel. This is obviously my first time doing so and I have a tun of Q's. Do I just Xfer it to this barrel as a secondary? How do I sanitize it? How long can I let it sit? can I just soak the barrel with some bourbon?... uh...It probably needs an air lock, right?

I really want to try it but dont want to waist $100 and all day just winging it. I havent decided what to brew yet. Maybe a Robust Maple Stout, Strong Bourbon Ale, even an IPA. Any advice, do's and dont's would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
:rockin:Casedog:rockin:

Yes use the barrel as a secondary. Sanitize the barrel with liquor. I used whiskey since mine is a whiskey barrel. Never ever ever use starsan or iodine or anything the wood will absorb it. You dont want to leave it too long at first. My recent one was ready in 10 days in the barrel. Too long will be too much oak and liquor flavor and aroma.

I don't have much advice but I'd love to hear how this turns out!

How much do the barrels go for on average? 100$? Where can you typically get them?

What size barrel and what type of oak? New barrel? Is the barrel toasted?

For new barrels they need to be sealed by filling with hot water and soaking until they don't leak. You need to do the same to the heads by putting the water on each head and letting it soak.

Barrels are usually stored empty using a sulphur wick to prevent anything from finding a home in the barrel.

Sodium Percarbonate can be used to clean the barrels but if left in too long it will neutralize the barrel. The barrel needs to be treated with citric acid after cleaning with Sodium Percarbonate.

Monitor the flavor closely as new oak will impart flavor very quickly. Also, the smaller the barrel, the faster the flavor effect.

What size barrel and what type of oak? New barrel? Is the barrel toasted?

Thanks guys! I have a system that I can do 15 gal with and a standared 5 gal "Igloo" system to experiment with. I have just been brewing the same recipes that I like over and over so now I think I need to step out of my comfort zone and do something new.

I'm still on the hunt for barrels. I'm looking for a smaller one though. 5 gal, American oak, medium toast inside.

Thanks for the advice, this venture seems less intimidating now!

Had 2 new oak barrels 3 or 4 months ago. A 2.5 gallon any 5 gallon. Problem is been busy and after washing them out with water just filled them up and left them. There is a small amount of mold forming on the outside of one, what should a guy do to clean and store before he can put some beer in them??

Back