Thin Hefeweizen: Diagnose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huge1s

Reaction score
I brewed my 3rd hefeweizen a little while ago and bottled it recently. Compared to my other hefeweizens, this one is very light colored. Others have had a little orange tinge to them and this one was light yellow. It also feels really "thin" when you drink it and doesn't have as strong of a flavor. I am thinking that I mashed too low (148 degrees) and/or fermented too high.

Pretty basic recipe:
5 lb Red Wheat
5 lb 2-Row
1/2 lb Carapils

1.047 OG
1.010 FG

This beer ended up fermenting in the mid to high 70's (reminder, go buy that fridge to go with my temperature controller) and the FG isn't low compared to my other hefeweizens. I hit 70% efficiency, which is low for my system, but consistent with other wheat beers I have done. Any ideas what could cause this in a wheat beer? Would a step mash help with the body and flavor?

Not sure what the problem is from your description. The lower mash temp will create more fermentables, lessening the body, but I would think if that were the issue you would have an unusually low fg. I can tell you this though, doing a protein rest, which is what I assume would be the step in your step mash, would lessen the body of the beer. Proteins are largely responsible for body and mouth feel, and the protein rest serves to break those down into amino acids. I don't think its necessary for well modified wheat malts.

I usually do a 2 step mash on my Hefes, the first at around 122 for 30 minutes and then raise to 152 for 30 minutes and my system is consistently 75%. it is possible that the lower efficiency is a contributing factor since the recipe was probably created for the higher efficiency, not sure.....

The flavor issue would fall with the ferm temp as you were definitely higher than normal. I particularly don't care for the banana notes so i tend to ferment quite low, like 60 and always use WY3068, I just like it and the clove that comes out with the lower temp.

I've never used the red wheat so I can't comment on the recipe although I do use both German wheat and german pilsner, generally 70-30% respectively, more of a traditional Hefe

I usually do a 2 step mash on my Hefes, the first at around 122 for 30 minutes and then raise to 152 for 30 minutes and my system is consistently 75%. it is possible that the lower efficiency is a contributing factor since the recipe was probably created for the higher efficiency, not sure.....

The flavor issue would fall with the ferm temp as you were definitely higher than normal. I particularly don't care for the banana notes so i tend to ferment quite low, like 60 and always use WY3068, I just like it and the clove that comes out with the lower temp.

I've never used the red wheat so I can't comment on the recipe although I do use both German wheat and german pilsner, generally 70-30% respectively, more of a traditional Hefe

I was a little low on my OG, but not by a ton. It is sounding like my excessive fermentation temp (even for WLP300) is to blame for the flavor. I actually like the banana, but that temp was probably too high to create any good flavors. Looking at my notes again... I also had too much volume (6.9 gallons pre boil that went to 5.8 post boil). I usually don't mind a little extra volume to squeek out a few extra beers, but that may have just been too much. I guess I have something to work on for my next hefe. I can just squeeze an orange slice in this one to give it a little flavor.

Did you carbonate this batch to the same level as the other ones? This can easily change your perception of body

Did you carbonate this batch to the same level as the other ones? This can easily change your perception of body

actually no. I did it within style, but higher than the last batch. The last couple bottles are foaming way too much. Does altitude have any play in calculating your CO2 volumes?

The foaming and thinness are normal, I feel, with the high levels of carbonation in a hefe. My hefes were always slightly thin when primed to the recommended style levels with sugar, then I figured out that the sheer amount of priming sugar used was drying it out a touch while carbonating. Now I make a speise of sorts (really just a strong starter using wheat dme), and it's right on. The foaming makes sense, it's a highly effervesant style that holds on to a huge head, of course it's going to foam a bit.

Couldn't answer on altitude, but it may come into play as well.

then I figured out that the sheer amount of priming sugar used was drying it out a touch while carbonating

If it was done fermenting before adding the priming sugar, why would it be any drier after fermenting the priming sugar? The same non-fermentables would still be in the beer, so the dryness should not have changed.

Back