Thick clouds develop with pectic enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon524

Reaction score
I added two doses of pectic enzyme (one teaspoon in total) over two days to a cloudy wine, post fermentation. I’d read that even though pectic enzyme works best before fermentation, it can be added after to a brew that won’t clarify. As a note, it was Oceanspray cran-raspberry juice with a pound of bananas added during primary. A few days after the addition, the wine has mostly clarified, but now there are thick clouds or whisps throughout the wine, condensed mostly in the middle. Any ideas what’s going on? Is it God cursing me for adding pectic enzyme at the wrong time?

Last edited:
Sounds like its slowly clearing. Leave it be and check it in a month or you can use other clearing options. Keep in mind each clearing technique strips something out of the final wine. I only made banana wine once. Took forever to clear. I left it outside during winter to cold crash and it cleared very fast. Tasted awful lol. One of my first experiemental wines.

Back